Generetic - operation scam the consumer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayhawk

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 14, 2004
Ya, that's the only thing i noticed, cuz the index actually reflected it. everything else looks intact. Depending on how it was done, the covers/rars could all still be there. Deleting db entries won't kill the file on the server--so restoring the db could work.

Darth Slater

this is me in 1988! man crazy huh?
Subscribed
Jan 15, 2005
Toronto, IN CANADA EHé
wow holy crap its like genocide over there!!

could this be an old "mod" from there who still has his password abilities? and is going apeshit?

i do feel sorry for all the people who need that site , and its covers though

Lucan63

Freshman
Oct 11, 2005
usa
wow holy crap its like genocide over there!!

could this be an old "mod" from there who still has his password abilities? and is going apeshit?

i do feel sorry for all the people who need that site , and its covers though
I for one still go there for some of the older covers. (beats cdcovers). Deleting your own work is one thing, but not destroying the site. If someone can hack the site, then he/she is smart enough to disable the payment option as opposed to deleteing threads.

Just a quick check of the archives shows that 3000+ thinpaks are now 73, many of which I posted. No covers or label scans left. 24 custom covers, custom labels at 203. Custom cover sets, 18, and so on.

Only one person to blame for this.

Big Ted

Dec 22, 2007
Midlands UK
I understand you being pissed off and much of the work i submitted is gone too, but it had to end somewhere. The only person that ever had access to the sites Paypal account was Ion. If it was a mod with a grudge, they can delete threads but they have no ability to validate accounts or access to the Paypal account therefore the only thing they could do would be to delete stuff that unsuspecting newbies are still paying to access.

Members were saying this a long time ago, that if the mods could have been given the permissions required to validate accounts, then Ion's absence wouldn't have been so much of an issue and the place would still be running smoothly. The mods were powerless to help, so they drifted away.

It seems to have been done to stop people being robbed rather than being a move against the members/artists.

Aristoles

Designer
Jan 8, 2006
Europe
www.vendettta.nl
That hacker could better delete the page were people fill in their (paypal)subscription.
Problem solved. (since Ion doesn't backup his site according to some here)

celm02

Dec 26, 2007
Suffolk, UK
All I can say is that it's about time. It's always been a matter of time until it shut down, though I didn't see this happening. I'd just to shake the hand of the hacker that's responsible, well done sir!

Darth Slater

this is me in 1988! man crazy huh?
Subscribed
Jan 15, 2005
Toronto, IN CANADA EHé
I don't think i)n removed the covers, because usually a site goes offline for a few days when maintenence is being done, you can't actually see things being removed...

I guess only time will tell:shrug:

Big Ted

Dec 22, 2007
Midlands UK
I think removing covers is fairly easy to do. I have removed my own submissions before now to either update them or just to replace them with a better version.

If a member can do it, then it would be fairly straightforward for a hacker or someone with set priviledges. If there is a backup, it probably won't be too recent anyway because Ion hardly ever seems to be there. As Darth says, time will tell.

I'm sorry to you guys who have lost out, but i was also a paying member because i joined before i started making my own covers.
I'm all for what has happened. At least we are in the same boat now as the guys who have paid and never been upgraded. I had to stop somewhere and it was inevitable that innocents would suffer too as a result.

Lucan63

Freshman
Oct 11, 2005
usa
not likely a mod, only 1 might have had the ability to do something like this, and he definitely would not have done this. iOn needs the cash flow so only leaves a couple of possibilities.

bazzah

Freshman
Mar 6, 2005
UK
www.generetic.net
lol - I think i0n may have got pissed at all the posts I just spammed over there, telling all the generetic members to come to hirescovers, r1db or replacethecase :p I have decided to follow suit with helping the generetic members, and am also offering gen members (who never had any service but paid) 3 months free at hires. More importantly, I just hope that i0n gets what he deserves for all this.

leo1963

Freshman
Aug 4, 2005
Indianapolis
It is really ashame that it has come to this. I am glad that great sites such as R1DB, RTC, HiRes, CM and the privates sites are running and all have a staff that cares. Thanks to all the mod's and admin's of these sites. looks like I will lose my last 6 months sub to Gen. Oh well !!!

Demonology

Freshman
Master Designer
Jul 14, 2004
Living it large with a bunch of Sheep!!!
dunno why but i got a feeling i0n is gonna dump the site and resurrect it under a different name as the name generetic is causing him hell now..... If he has any sort of decency towards members there he'll invite them and give them special priviledges..

But then again the way he acted over the past yr seems very unlikely...

i could be wrong and he may very well be trying to restore it from backups

Big Ted

Dec 22, 2007
Midlands UK
It now says: Forums will be back shortly. Apologies for the downtime. Taking a little longer than expected. 19:44 - Still working on this

donobieus

R1DB Lifer
Aug 5, 2005
The Jersey Shore
www.meettheobriens.com
lol - I think i0n may have got pissed at all the posts I just spammed over there, telling all the generetic members to come to hirescovers, r1db or replacethecase :p I have decided to follow suit with helping the generetic members, and am also offering gen members (who never had any service but paid) 3 months free at hires. More importantly, I just hope that i0n gets what he deserves for all this.

Baz! Welcome to the party!

Status
Not open for further replies.