Xbox 360 live and USB

Discussion in 'Technology' started by manwithaplan, Apr 8, 2009.

1. manwithaplan

manwithaplan New Member Member

My son just got a xbox 360 live and wants to test out some demos, but the built in hdd isnt big enough to download them to, so i was wondering if the USB on the back of the unit can be used as i have a usb pen flash drive that you can put any size micro sd cards into.
    This would be a lot cheaper then buying a M$ mem card, but my searches on the net tell me this cant be done, but im hoping it can be. :)

2. gbk33

gbk33 Site Moderator Staff Member Site Staff

As far as I know the web searches are correct. I don't know that it can be done. You can get the 360 Hard Drive off of eBay for pretty cheap.

3. koentjexl

koentjexl Sophomore Member

As far as I know, it can't be done.
    The system gives you just two options: hard drive or memory card.
    I still have some 7 Gb left on my drive, but other, cheap, options would be nice.

4. RickT

RickT R1DB Lifer

correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the only thing the usb port is good for at the present time and a usb wireless adapter?

5. manwithaplan

manwithaplan New Member Member

Apparently M$ have disabled the 'write-to' function of the USB port, so in theory you should be able to put music/pics/divx films etc onto a USB connected hard drive(from your pc) and plug it in that slot as its now just 'read-only' so you can play off of it.

I'm looking into getting a plug in hdd unit that slots onto the top of the xbox, thats all i can do at the mo :(