will streaming kill dvd/blu ray?

Discussion in 'Site Surveys' started by ashevildead123, Jan 19, 2014.

1. drsrin

drsrin Member Member

2. drsrin

drsrin Member Member

Maybe but still need discs for travel, internet down, ..., like feeling of owning something.
  3. Fejinwales

Fejinwales Member Designer

I sincerely hope it doesn't. I love owning the DVD's and Blu-rays, especially those of my absolute favourite films such as The Lord of the Rings Extended Editions, Tombstone and Quigley Down Under, to mention but a few. I have never streamed anything in my life although I have the capability I've never bothered to set it up. It just doesn't interest me.
  4. cherokee

cherokee Member Member

Hope not, nice to have media on hand whenever you want. I still prefer hardcover books to anything electronic :)
    Internet caps and speeds are crap where I am.
  5. pykejoe

pykejoe Member Member

i keep hearing streaming will kill discs, but netflix does not carry every single thing you may want. Netflix doesn't have every single show or have every new movies has soon as its released. personally prefer hard copy over streaming any day. Streaming requires bandwidth usage and hoping that it will be available. I admit video stores are dying and some stores don't carry a very good selection of anything anymore which is what cause streaming and downloading. Some prices for shows and movies are still crazy which is another cause.
  6. Garp

Garp Member Member

Sure hope it doesn't. I like to see my movies and cds.
  7. tkboxer

tkboxer Member Member

My guess is disc will disappear in 20 years or so. Eventually, technology will make it easier to watch video on demand worldwide on any device. In my area presently the ISP's have inconsistent bandwidth and there is a Redbox at almost every gas station and grocery store.
  8. pykejoe

pykejoe Member Member

i prefer discs over streaming any day, i stream because sometimes i can find stuff on netflix etc i can't find anywhere else or the prices of certain seasons or movies are very expensive.
  9. ashevildead123

ashevildead123 Member Member

i really don't know what to do about this?
  10. oldman1

oldman1 Member Member

Collectors of movies and books get the added enjoyment of the representation of accomplishment by having, and presumably watching, their collections. Some might smirk at this notion but those of us who like to collect understand. And that's what matters. I think it quite likely the physical discs may be gone but they said that about actual record albums as well.
    LoPan787 and tightline_69 like this.
  11. HFallout

HFallout Member Member

I guess it will...
  12. tightline_69

tightline_69 Freshman Member

I have to agree with oldman1. I enjoy collecting. some I have , have taken me some searching to acquire.
  13. paoki_oresths

paoki_oresths Member Member Restricted

Propably
    ctaulbee likes this.
  14. ctaulbee

ctaulbee Demigod Moderator Staff Member Site Staff

I know this is a fun topic for forum buzz but the fact is it will be a long time before the technology infrastructure needed to support streaming on the massive scale needed to reach enough of the worlds population will physically exist in the world where it can then have any noticeable impact on Disc sales.

What Streaming has killed is the Disc Rental Market which has almost vanished and that is where all the recent growth in the streaming market has come from for the last three years or so an not from lost Disc sales but rather in the shift from renting actual discs to just clicking the remotes On-Demand button...
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  15. Matt

Matt Member Restricted

I loathe streaming so I will be up s*** creek. I'll jump that hurdle when we get there.
    ctaulbee likes this.
  16. BIGSTU

BIGSTU Member Member

Dodgy internet connection...download caps...variable picture quality . .physical disc for me every time. Streaming
    is ok for people who watch on phones or tablets but for the real deal no way.
  17. cooldude

cooldude Member Restricted

yes, it will. but it will take time.
  18. LoPan787

LoPan787 Member Restricted

So long as net neutrality is maintained, I think we could see a future 20-50 years from now where physical releases are not too common. They would be limited to collector's editions and extremely boutique releases. Right now, though, streaming is so inferior to a physical disc that the market is staying strong for collectors and such.

More likely, however, I think we'll see streaming become the dominant format for newer releases. Those films don't need an expensive restoration and remastering. I doubt streaming licenses will be lucrative enough for companies to want to invest in restoring silent films, obscure films, etc. If the streaming licenses did get high enough to cover those costs then the consumer will ultimately front that hike in price. When you're only paying 15 bucks or maybe 30-50 for all your subscriptions, it is highly unlikely you'll want to increase that to 100 or 150. At that price we're back to the problem of cable.

Building on the above point, it is worth noting that right now we're seeing streaming splinter incredibly from a select few services that cover a great deal of material to more and more specified services. Oh, you want Criterion releases? Well here's another subscription beyond Hulu and Netflix now. Want HBO? Subscribe to HBO Go or Now or whatever. This will keep growing and growing and growing.
  19. DonZoilo

DonZoilo Member Restricted

Don't think so.... it's like matches and lighters. Matches will always exist.
  20. Comared

Comared Member Restricted

I really hope not, I prefer my physical copies to digital anyday
    ctaulbee likes this.