will streaming kill dvd/blu ray?

Discussion in 'Site Surveys' started by ashevildead123, Jan 19, 2014.

1. thedoctor2012

thedoctor2012 New Member Member

I doubt streaming will ever kill DVD's or BluRays. New physical formats will, but there will always be too many people who prefer a physical copy for the companies to ignore. Too many people who prefer a physical copy to the worry of losing everything they purchased if the streaming service closes. Look at Sony, recently they closed their ebook store though they did transfer their accounts to Kobo. If they didn't do that, would people who had books by them ever be able to get them again if anything happened to their ereaders?
  2. cow82288boys

cow82288boys Member Subscribed Member

It will kill dvd's. I'm not sure about blu ray
  3. alienmem

alienmem Sophomore Member

I think there's space for everyone.....physicial,,digital whatver media
  4. omerburakborazan

omerburakborazan New Member Member

New physical formats will likely arrive to replace the current formats, but personally, I don't think everyone will want to or be able to stream their media; even if they wanted to, the current internet infrastructure wouldn't be able to provide enough bandwith. There needs to be some drastic improvements in that regard should movie streaming become commonplace in every house. I like having the physical copy of the stuff that I bought but one has to accept the fact that internet streaming is a big convenience, if the conditions are suitable.
  5. Zgrund

Zgrund Member Member

I like to have a physical medium and display my movie collection on the shelf, like I do with my books. So I'm really hoping that we'll be able to chose if you want a physical copy or not. In all honesty though, digital has a lot of advantages. It's even more environmentally friendly :) I'd be surprised if movie discs are still around in 20 years or so...
  6. RockCity

RockCity Member Member

itll hurt it and may drive prices up, but it wont kill it. Too many issues with having to have internet connection, slow speeds, content providers staying in business, and the fact that by the time everyone is on a format that could replace it, something newer and better will come about.
  7. nenadxx

nenadxx Member Member

Maybe one day
  8. RayDawGGG

RayDawGGG Member Member

I Also Like having A Physical Disc as well as a Digital media that i can travel with...contrary to popular belief a lot of people still don't have internet access.Even if they did they still aren't aware of what a "Streaming" service is.For the most part they usually stick to tradition and watch movies on DVD and use the internet just for Email.
  9. ashevildead123

ashevildead123 Member Member

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  10. juramqui

juramqui Member Member

probably especially since netflix and hulu and all these other sites are streaming the movies faster and faster.
  11. vbangle

vbangle New Member Member

What about 4K TV's and 4K re-masterd blurays? How on earth is netflix ever going to be able to stream 4k?
  12. alphaville

alphaville Member Member

I don't think so.
  13. blackarch

blackarch Member Member

I think that storage will be the issue. If you add up all the storage of your video collection (Blu-ray) and DVD it adds up to a staggering amount of storage just for one individual
  14. subzero20

subzero20 Sophomore Member

Physical format will never die. The "Disc" era may end, but physical copies of movies wont, mostly due to storage. As movies get higher in quality, they get higher in size. However, raw storage for PCs will never increase at the same cost rate of movies' needs.

DVDs will die, simply b/c there is BluRay, BluRay will die, whenever the next 'physical' format is here (im wondering if data-card style movies?), but streaming will always co-exist with physical formats.
  15. newin45

newin45 Member Member

I think picture quality is much better on DVD and BluRay.
  16. tigersw01

tigersw01 Member Member

I hope streaming never kills the actual discs. I prefer to have a physical copy as many have indicated here. I feel that If I can't loan it, I don't own it.
    subzero20 likes this.
  17. subzero20

subzero20 Sophomore Member

Agreed! Plus, I hate that even 'buying' movies online still cant guarantee you get to keep the movie, unless you move a physical copy to your own PC
  18. TheGoldenBoy1

TheGoldenBoy1 Member Member Restricted

Nah, physical all the way. But I do hope Games/DVD/Bllu Ray movie distributors quit with the terrible "Eco-Box" disc cases. They sometimes make me want to go all digital.
  19. oldman1

oldman1 Member Member

Vinyl has survived, cd's have survived, dvd and blu-ray are here. Perhaps we'll move to thumb dirives or the like but I doubt we'll ever want to give up owning a physical copy of what we've purchased. Only tape has gone away (well, almost) but that's just a medium change, not personal behavior.
  20. 1Bullet

1Bullet Member Member

Netflix does not have DVD mail delivery service here. You can only purchase streaming. We now only have Redbox rental machines for dvd and bluray. I prefer to watch my movies in 1080P or 1080I for upconverted DVD . Netflex and Google only stream at 720p.
    I see the end for discs when they figure out how to stream at 1080P with out using excessive bandwidth.