will streaming kill dvd/blu ray?

Discussion in 'Site Surveys' started by ashevildead123, Jan 19, 2014.

1. ashevildead123

ashevildead123 Member Member

if streaming kills movies on disc? what will you do?
  2. VuduFanatic

VuduFanatic New Member Member

Eventually it probably will.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  3. ashevildead123

anyone with a small internet cap, or no internet at all will hurt over that. i like owning my movies, i like having them in my hands.
  4. meezitchell

meezitchell Member Member

I feel like it will eventually. I prefer owning the physical copies. There might be a market out there...
  5. proboller86

proboller86 Member Member

I live out in the country and we are finally able to get 4mbs internet. I still like owning my dvds.
  6. wonderful217

wonderful217 New Member Member

I use itunes and apple tv, I like having physical copies but I also like not having to deal with discs and being able to watch my collection anywhere that has an internet connection.
  7. infamousdre

infamousdre Member Member

Maybe one day. I don't think it will any time soon tho.
  8. soilwork

soilwork Member Member

i guess it probably will eventually
  9. ashevildead123

i still been thinking about this, cds are still here, so i guess? dvds will always be made. i can't say the same for blu ray.
  10. rickssg

rickssg Freshman Designer

The problem with streaming is that you are counting on the content provider to remain in business. I know it seems unlikely now, but suppose Apple goes out of business. Any titles that you have paid for will be no longer supported, and you will lose them. On the other hand, if you bought CDs by Milli Vanilli back in the 80s, you can still play them. As for the streaming services like Netflix and Hulu, the problem is that the content is not consistent. Right now, I get to watch Star Trek on Netflix without having to buy the overpriced discs. But that's only until their agreement with the studio runs out. I don't think they'll be pulling Star Trek any time soon, but they have pulled several other titles that I used to enjoy.
    pykejoe likes this.
  11. ctaulbee

ctaulbee Demigod Moderator Staff Member Site Staff

A more likely scenario would be Apple 'decides' that the streaming business or maybe a part of it is not profitable enough for them anymore, so they sell all or part of it to one or more less stable companies, then your fate falls into their hands...
  12. ashevildead123

i been thinking of signing up for netflix. but i would feel like a sell out, i miss video stores. :(
  13. homeofthebadguys

homeofthebadguys Member Member

I say it won't since you also have to take people that have data caps or a slow (Dial-up/DSL) connection into consideration because one needs a connection to watch streamed movies and to call home if you downloaded a DRM infected copy of a movie. I don't think DVD, Blu-Ray or physical media will die at all. It'll only just keep getting better.
  14. ashevildead123

the thing is, i don't know what to buy anymore? i love dvds more then blu ray, im confused about what to buy? if i knew for sure that blu ray would replace dvd, i would buy blu ray. that does not seem to be the case, i just know, i don't won't to stream. what should i do?
  15. phil73

phil73 New Member Member

not everyone has screaming internet access. Until that happens if they do away with DVD and Bluray they will be losing millions.
  16. itsmesassy

itsmesassy Freshman Member

No, way thats crazy, they will lose millions and sucks for us viewers and collectors
  17. ashevildead123

i read somewhere, that ma and pa video stores are making a small come back, now that blockbusters is gone. we still got one video store here, i give my money to them before i would netflix. i don't see how people could one day give up their right to own a movie?
  18. Stephane Lavoie

Stephane Lavoie Member Member

I hope not, i really like the collecting part of it. You can't collect streaming it's just too easy.
  19. cow82288boys

cow82288boys Member Subscribed Member

When Netflix stop there dvd mail delivery service. You will know disc or dead.
  20. honestjohn

honestjohn Member Member

Ditto, I think we still have quite a few years to go before we have anything to worry about.