Which DVD Format do you prefer?

Discussion in 'DVD talk' started by backofthepack, Apr 5, 2006.

?

Which Format do you prefer for DVD's?

Poll closed Apr 12, 2006.
  1. Widescreen

100.0%
  2. Full Screen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. backofthepack

backofthepack New Member Member

I know I prefer widescreen, even though my TV isn't 16:9, I don't mind the black bars.

I was just wondering which format you prefer.
  2. kunkstyle

kunkstyle New Member Member

There's a choice?
    WTF is a 4x3? Some kind of off-raod vehicle?
  3. gbk33

gbk33 Site Moderator Staff Member Site Staff

Fullscreen should be illegal for people over the age of 8
  4. cyeingst

cyeingst Member Member

Gotta go widescreen. Even my kids are on board. My son did a presentaion in school about widescreen being better than pan n' scan (4 x 3). Unless of course the original material is 4 x 3 then you're not losing any of the picture.
  5. casualimp

casualimp New Member Member

But... Widescreen looks like they zoomed out on the picture whereas Full Screen you get the whole picture. ;)
  6. backofthepack

LOL, pretty good
  7. thomkai

thomkai New Member Member

Haha I was a bit scared to see the results of this one, but my fears were laid to rest. I was worried you all weren't the movie afficionado's I had thought. The very thought of this poll made me cringe ;)
    I work in a video store and hear all day long about how "widescreen cuts the picture off and fullframe you see the whole thing". ARGH!
  8. ctaulbee

ctaulbee Demigod Moderator Staff Member Site Staff

OMFG your kidding right... Please tell me you are... Please.
  9. crabbit

crabbit Guest

I prefer OAR! Can you imagine Gone with the Wind or Notorious in widescreen?
  10. RickT

RickT R1DB Lifer

It's widescreen all the way for me and mine.
  11. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Member Designer

I prefer OAR ... matted full screen features / shows are just as bad as pan&scammed widescreen features / shows.
  12. thomkai

Good point, but since most movies today are widescreen, it's still a frustrating thing when people want it fullframe anyway. The general public needs to be better informed about the differences. Not like they would care anyway :sigh:
  13. JupiterPrime

JupiterPrime New Member Designer

OAR should have been a choice - too late...I have a mondo 16:9 set and I dont care that something is 4:3, just as long as thats how it came in the first place - but to FS-ify something just to fill a 4:3 boob tube, thats just criminal
  14. Paper Pills

Paper Pills Sophomore Designer

i absolutely hate pan&scan. i just pisses me off to see it.
  15. Nemesis_Enforcer

Nemesis_Enforcer New Member Designer

I was wondering when a topic like this would pop up. Widescreen all the way. I used to special order widescreen VHS if/when they were available.
  16. backofthepack

Wow, I can't believe no one prefers Full Screen or Full Frame as they call it at Blockbuster.
  17. thomkai

No one prefers it because unless a movie (or more commonly tv show) is Fullframe, then you're losing picture from what was shot (in most cases). It's "formatting the picture to fit your tv"; i.e., cropping the sides off to make the picture sqaure. And fullframe is just another way of saying fullscreen, it's a common abbreviation in retail; FF.
  18. adderswear

adderswear Guest

prefer widescreen version
  19. khbg12006

khbg12006 New Member Member

Widescreen a must but why don't they have ratio of 1.80 as the norm in stead of 2.30
  20. zarquon

zarquon Member Member

Kinda surprised to see this poll even here; doesn't seem like ANY fullscreen advocates would be reading, much less posting, in a forum like this...