What do you do with Original Covers?

Discussion in 'Site Surveys' started by Poloki, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poloki

Poloki Freshman Member

Hey all, being a newbie and downloading some AWESOME covers, I started wondering what people do with their original covers that they bought their DVD's with.

Somehow I don't want to throw them out... just in case I go to sell my DVD's or something.

But then, the originals take up space, especially those annoying WB snapcases. If you do keep them, do you lay them flat or crease them on the spine.

Just curious what everyone else does.

2. Darth Slater

Darth Slater this is me in 1988! man crazy huh? Subscribed

i burn, shred,step on, chew, and sometimes make paper airplanes out of them.

3. donobieus

donobieus R1DB Lifer

I usually just throw them away. However, I buy most of my dvds at the local flea market and most of the time they dont come with cases or covers, just the dvd in a disc envelope. Since I get them at 4 or 5 for $10 or $12 bucks I cant really complain. I really stopped replacing retail covers once I got rid of all my snapper cases. But I will occasionally still replace one when a custom comes out that really blows me away.

4. Paper Pills

Paper Pills Sophomore Designer

i buy very few dvds new so the covers are usually crap when i get them so i toss them.

for some of the discs, like the 2 disc versions of lotr, i was happy that i saved the cover when i bought them because i ended up getting the 4disc versions....so i traded my 2disc versions in at blockbuster. so i'd say get a box and save the ones for movies you are not too sure about keeping.

plus with blu-ray discs now...you might double dip and want to sell the SD for a $1

5. koentjexl

koentjexl Sophomore Member

I keep them in a box. Even the snapcases.
    Don't know why.
    Maybe I should throw them out.
    I'm just to lazy to pick up the box and walk five feet to the garbage.

6. Darth Slater

take you time, walk 1 foot a day, and in 5 days its done..

7. koentjexl

I could flick some burning matches in that general direction.
    Maybe I'll get lucky.

8. RickT

RickT R1DB Lifer

wallpaper man... i use them for wallpaper.

9. Darth Slater

actually i used to drop them in the drop box of blockbuster so they will STOP SELLING MOVIES FOR THE SAME PRICE WITHOUT A COVER AS ONE WITH A COVER..
    Rant over.

10. Poloki

Poloki Freshman Member

I am going to keep mine in a box, for the day might come that I want to sell the discs. :)

11. ybn1197

ybn1197 Member Member

I keep them flat under a binder in case I intend to sell them some day.

12. rickssg

rickssg Freshman Designer

The only studio packaging I've actually thrown out are the snappers. For cool sets like Babylon 5, which I know I will NEVER sell or get rid of, I still keep the original packaging in a box in the basement. I can't bring myself to get rid of it, even though I know I will never use it again. I guess it lends a sense of legitimacy to my ownership of the discs (I'm not claiming that that makes any sense, so please no replies telling me that's stupid). For discs where I have only replaced the cover and not the case, I keep all of the old covers as well. In fact, when I replace one custom with a better one, I still keep the old custom. I have a stack of covers about three inches thick that I will never use again. But really 3-inch stack of old covers is not a real space hog.

13. gbk33

gbk33 Site Moderator Staff Member Site Staff

If you ever want to sell them, then just download a scan of that cover. As long as it has the correct barcode on the there it makes no difference to the buyer (blockbuster, GameStop, etc.). Their scanners see the barcode only.

14. koentjexl

If someone wants my snappers, you can come pick them up at my house for free.
    You'll have to cross the ocean to get 'em, but free stuff is always great. Right?

15. gbk33

gbk33 Site Moderator Staff Member Site Staff

Has the guy who created snappers jumped off a building yet?

16. Darth Slater

or "snapped his neck"??

17. mac76

mac76 Member Member

I throw mine under the couch. You have to find some use for that good empty storage space.

18. movieman

movieman Sophomore Scanner

Quick question. What are snappers?

19. Schylling

Schylling Sophomore Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Assembled out of a black plastic tray with a piece of cardboard which features the cover artwork attached to it. The plastic tray has a short lid, which snaps shut locking the cover.

20. donobieus

donobieus R1DB Lifer

I had hoped never to see one of those again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.