Using Blu-ray for Hi-res images

Discussion in 'High Def and Theater talk' started by EGON004, Aug 20, 2009.

1. EGON004

EGON004 Member Member

Trying to find hi-res movie stills can be pretty difficult, especially if you have a certain image in mind from the movie but there isn't any stills of it anywhere.

Considering the the HD quality of Blu-ray, would it be possible to screen capture scenes on your computer to use for custom dvd covers? Would the size be large enough to use for a cover?

2. ApolloOne

ApolloOne Site Moderator Staff Member Site Staff

It is possible, because I've done it. Yes, it is a fantastic source for images because of their high-resolution. At 1920 x 1080, they're smaller than the size of a cover, but they can handle some degree of enlargement, more so than low-res images. But it's best to use them as an element of a design anyway, rather than the whole design itself.

There are likely a few different ways of getting the images from BD. My choice is using AnyDVD to crack it, and then dragging the appropriate .m2ts file into WinDVD 9, playing it, and screen-capturing the stills I need. I do it that way because software players such as WinDVD and PowerDVD disable screen capture during BD playback.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  3. EGON004

EGON004 Member Member

Thanks. I was hoping the images would be larger but it sounds like it will still come in handy.

4. Hailstorm

Hailstorm The Sarge Staff Member Site Staff

I use Aiseesoft Blu-ray player, it has a screen grab feature which makes it really easy to get images.

5. tkboxer

tkboxer Member Designer

Gone_Girl_BR_labe_smalll copy.jpg
    The image of Ms. Pike, from a Bluray disc paused on the screen of my 42" 1080p television was taken with my 13mp phone camera.
    The text on this label is my handwriting. I wrote the text on paper, scanned it and brought it to Photoshop.
    I did it as a experiment to see if I could use any frame I wanted from a film as a image. It was fun and different.
    I did one other label like this for the movie Interstellar.
    If you have never seen Gone Girl, it is one good but scare the crap out of you movie.