To Hole or not To Hole?

Discussion in 'Site Surveys' started by Hailstorm, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hailstorm

Hailstorm P.I.T.A. Cover Moderator Staff Member Site Staff

Now there is a fine line among cover artists when it comes to a hole in a custom label, some say it ruins the label, some say its needed to center the label for printing, I say hog wash, since we have full-face labels now, the only thing you need to center is the image it self. So lets see what the members of the site have to say about this subject, as for me the center hole is a waste, as is the information ring on the outer edge of the label since it also is a pain to line up.

I vote NO HOLE
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  2. scooter

scooter Member Designer

Some discs look better with the hole and some don't......But i'll vote NO HOLE to
  3. weapon

weapon Member Member

No hole for obvious reasons.

Thanks for taking on the voting part of my question, Hailstorm.
  4. ctaulbee

ctaulbee Demigod Moderator Staff Member Site Staff

No hole, it's an obvious choice really, truth is no one can defend a position "for" putting a "fake hole" in something to be printed, not with any logic that makes sense.

What are they printing them on, discs with "no holes", I mean seriously folks.

Some, "look better" scooter, what the hell does that mean? You mean on the screen? What has that got to do with printing it?

I think this whole thing stems from sites that show previews, and those previews have holes and edges, but the files you download do not, I suspect some have seen this and "think" the actual disc image has this hole, when in fact it does not, and as a result some have started making them like that to mimic what they have seen, it's just silliness and not knowing.
  5. mywrench

mywrench Freshman Designer

No hole.
    Myself I don't do disc labels I just write the movie title on the disc with a black sharpie.
    Everything you need is on the cover.

Signature 1.jpg
  6. Hailstorm

So you vote no for the hole but you still upload custom labels with a hole, so one should figure you are still undecided.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  7. tkboxer

tkboxer Member Member

No hole. I know its magic but guess what, the hole magically appears when you print on the disc! IMO labels should be as clean as possible, region free, absolutely no circular text that was written by a lawyer. If you feel you must put text on a label, a brief synopsis would make the most sense, especially for folks that don't use full covers.
  8. scooter

scooter Member Designer

Beat me up why don't you lol...No not undecided, as i said before some discs do look better " on a screen" ctaulbee, with a fake hole in place. It helps others like myself that don't have the greatest of eyes anymore to see better what will be lost when printed. Plus i just forget its there and forget to turn it off when finished sometimes...................still keeping with the NO HOLE
  9. ctaulbee

I knew what you meant, but as this topic is about the actual practical use of the label, ie printing it to a disc, and since you made such a fine target... blam, oh and thanks for being a good sport about it, lol.
  10. Tricksta

Tricksta Member Member

No Hole - Can't see any sensible reason to add a hole to a custom label, why would you waste your time??
  11. Hailstorm

Just ask Scooter why he votes no hole and he still puts a really big one anyway like today's upload.

So far we have 7 - NO HOLE and 0 - With Hole
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  12. ApolloOne

ApolloOne Site Moderator Staff Member Site Staff

No hole on the finished custom art, but I do wish some people would use a hole on custom labels while they're creating them. I've seen quite a few labels with important stuff like, oh...the star's face smack in the center where the hole will be.

Oh, and I'm a "no legal text" guy, too. It detracts from the artwork.
  13. ctaulbee

You have a good point Apollo, sad really as every label template I have ever seen has the hole layer in there, guess some just can't figure out how to turn it on, lol.

Of course on the other hand there are those who can't seem to turn it off too, not to mention any names here but I think Hailstorm might know one...

:)
  14. Hailstorm

More than one Ctaulbee, that's for sure. I do use the outside border and hole to aline everything up with, but once it is alined, I turn both off and go to a full background.
  15. Schylling

Schylling Sophomore Member

No hole on a custom - makes sense. As for the legal text, I use them, just makes them seem more legit, imo.
  16. scooter

scooter Member Designer

Goes and hides in the corner........... I'll remember to turn it off in the future :lol:
  17. Hailstorm

I really don't see any use for the legal text anyway, but the main topic is the hole, if you want to use the legal text that is your choice.
  18. Hailstorm

Thread is now closed, all custom labels provided for upload will not have a center hole in them, if they are uploaded with a hole, they will be deleted and the up loader notified that they need to re-uploaded without the center hole. Effective: 01/27/2013.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.