the first thread in this section (post your home theater setup):

Discussion in 'High Def and Theater talk' started by Darth Slater, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Darth Slater

Darth Slater this is me in 1988! man crazy huh? Subscribed

I soooo expected at least a Stargate poster!!

thats what i'm going to do with my basement but i've been saying that for years (i have the means, but not the time LOL
  2. gbk33

gbk33 Site Moderator Staff Member Site Staff

you got a great setup there !!
  3. spartanstew

spartanstew New Member Member

Here's the equipment in the HT:

Panasonic AE700U Projector
    Carada Brilliant White 126" Precision Series Screen
    Pioneer Elite VSX-56txi Receiver
    Toshiba A2 HD-DVD Player
    Sony DVP-NC85H 5-disc CD/DVD Player
    Directv HR21 HD DVR

SVS PB12-ISD/2 Subwoofer
    Axiom Speakers
    Fronts: M22ti's
    Center: VP150
    Sides: QS8's
    Rears: QS4's

Harmony 880 Universal Remote
    Monster HTS 3500 Powercenter
    Monster Power AV200 Powercenter
    Monster Power SW200

Here's a few snapshots. Hard to take a good picture in there:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The DVD shelves are basically full now as these pics are a couple of years old.

Screen shots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also have a pretty good set up in my living room that we use for watching TV, but I don't currently have any pictures:

Mitsubishi 73833 (73" DLP RPTV)
    Sony STR-DE945: Receiver
    Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI DVD Player
    Directv HR20 HD DVR
    Directv HR21 HD DVR
    Cavalry 1TB eSATA external drive

Klipsch Quintet Speakers
    Klipsch KSW-12 Subwoofer
    Harmony 676 Universal Remote
  4. gbk33

another great looking setup! Damn, I'm feeling pretty inferior here.
  5. Darth Slater

Darth Slater this is me in 1988! man crazy huh? Subscribed

why did someone show there manhood LOL

how does a projector look? is the screen qauality (picture) good?
  6. spartanstew

spartanstew New Member Member

Well, like anything it would depend upon the projector. Mine looks excellent. Those screen shots are from my projector onto a 126" screen.
  7. Cor

Cor Freshman Member

C.Dan nice... that looks like its right out of a magazine...

and DS, what weekend is this now?
    Keep in mind I have no kids this coming weekend!
  8. philosophy101

philosophy101 New Member Member

I have a 55" Hitachi TV bought 2 years ago, only has 1 hdmi output *sigh*
    Kawasaki surround sound *very cheap, the cd/dvd player wont work anymore*
    a PS3 a gift last christmas **HOORAY** only have two games Beowulf and Carbon , dont ask I'm broke
    movies in Blu Ray, Spiderman 3 came with the system, and recently bought Pirates 2 and Goodfellas, they are the cheapest one I can find and buying them gives you a free bluetooth remote, I'm still waiting for the 5 free movies to arrive
    VCR is not attached, it's collecting dust, my 4year old daughter have no clue what it is, and yeah I never been here awhile , sorry
  9. Commander-Dan

Commander-Dan Member Designer

Many thanks. Here’s a little bit of background on the room:

This theater room is about 2 years old. We moved from Nashville, TN to Texas a couple of years back, and the new house we bought has two living areas, and we realized that one was well suited for a dedicated theater room.

Before moving into the new house, we already had the TV, A/V equipment (including speakers), and entertainment center, though it was all in more of a “Den” setting in our previous home.

I installed the accent lighting & dimmers, and also sanded, stained, and painted the round table and stools (which was furniture from our previous home). I also had to drop a cable run for the TV and speaker wire for the surround speakers. My Mom-in-Law made the curtains (they simply cover the windows) and my Dad-in-Law helped me to paint the room. Additional purchases to complete the room were the theater seats, the popcorn machine, the carpet, a few other odds & ends, and the posters & frames.

The posters were chosen mainly based on “big movie events” for a given decade in my lifetime. For the 70s, it was a no-brainer: Star Wars. Needless to say, that movie had an incredible impact on me as a kid.

For the 80s, I had a hard time choosing between Raiders of the Lost Ark, Back to the Future, and Batman. I actually got all three of those posters. Though Batman is not necessarily my most favorite of the three, it was certainly a BIG movie event with lots of hype, so it holds a great deal of nostalgia for me in that regard.

90s: Titanic was certainly a big movie for it’s time, and yes I’ll admit it: I actually enjoyed the film. (Plus I’m a big James Horner fan, who scored the soundtrack.)

For the 00s, I got both The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring and Pirates of the Caribbean. I was originally going to go with The Lord of the Rings (it was certainly a “big” film), but my wife and I are both fans of Pirates (the first film, anyway), not to mention the colors in that poster worked well in the room.

LOL! Well, I do at least have my Stargate autographs in the room! Besides, I’m a much bigger fan of the TV series (SG-1) than the feature film.

10. alexs

alexs Freshman Member

Commander-Dan,

Awesome setup. All you need is a front PJ to make it a real movie theater. Love it! Mind to tell me the dimension of the leather seats and where you bought them from? What is the brand, color and/or number of the paint you used?
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  11. alexs

alexs Freshman Member

jayhwak,

You must love bright and forward sound. With your Klipsch speakers and that exciting/reflective room (no carpeting in the room),I imagine the sound might be a bit harsh??? Love your room, BTW!!
  12. alexs

alexs Freshman Member

My Gear:

Mirage OM-9, OM C2, 4 OM-R2s for surround
    JL Audio F112 sub
    Onkyo 805
    Proceed Amp 3
    Toshiba HD DVD XA2
    Oppo 970 HD
    Sharp Z3000 PJ
    Da lite 92" screen
    Panamax M5400-EX Power conditioner
    Kimber Kable and interconnect all around
    Signal cable power cords
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  13. tony soprano

tony soprano Member Member

My current setup:
    Panasonic 58" Plasma
    Onkyo Receiver
    Directv H20 Hd Receiver
    LG BH200 HD-DVD / Blu-Ray combo Player
    Athena speakers

This is my living room. Hopefully someday I can put together a dedicated home theater but for now this works. Don't mind the flash glare on the TV Screen.

In my spare bedroom I store all my dvd's. I currently have roughly 1700 SD and about 25 HD DVD's, not counting all the TV season box sets I have.

I am very close to being out of space and have to figure out a better storage solution.

I even have a shelf that sits above my windows that holds a bunch of by TV shows.

Attached Files:

14. Commander-Dan

Commander-Dan Member Designer

The color of the room is "Chianti" (S-H-150, Behr Paint, from The Home Depot). I don't know the exact dimensions of our theater seats, and at this point I have forgotten the brand name (and I removed all the tags when we bought them). We got them at a store in Houston; ... I think called The Leather Shoppe; somewhere off of Westminster. They were on sale at the time.
  15. alexs

alexs Freshman Member

I tried the Chinati from Behr but didn't came out as good as yours. I didn't paint the whole room though, just a 2' x2' sample and it was just too red. I guess the red stuck out against a white background. Thanks.
  16. gbk33

I'm working on some decent pics to post. I'm redoing my speaker setup, so I have been stalling here.
  17. hmarx

hmarx Member Member

My current set up is as follows:

65” Mitsubishi HDTV (Platinum Series)
    Samsun DVD-HD860 Multi-Region Upconverting DVD player
    DirecTV HR20 HD/TiVo Receiver
    Sony Playstation 1 and 2
    Kenwood VR 705 Receiver
    Bose 5.1 Speaker System
  18. Irrob

Irrob New Member Member

pics attached

Attached Files:

19. Irrob

Irrob New Member Member

more pics

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  20. wormraper

wormraper Freshman Scanner

very nice. What movie's menu is that playing on your tV in the pics???? I don't recognize it and I swore I'd seen just about every blu out there.