Texture creation?

Discussion in 'How to: Q&A' started by tcheck, Nov 2, 2007.

1. tcheck

tcheck R1DB Lifer

Can anyone help me with creating the brushed metal background texture as used by Scaramanga on the Dinosaur cover found at http://www.r1db.com/covers/custom/4565-dinosaur.html ?

Is this a brush or a texture a print...

Obviously I'm new at this and trying to figure things out!

Thanks!

2. ctaulbee

ctaulbee Demigod Moderator Staff Member Site Staff

If I'm not mistaken that was created from a digital photo he took of a piece of scrap metal then did some photoshop enhancments to it.

3. tcheck

tcheck R1DB Lifer

Oh. Wow. Sucks to be me in re-creating something similar! :)

4. Schylling

Schylling Sophomore Member

5. tcheck

tcheck R1DB Lifer

Awesome! I had looked at a couple tutes but they were way more complex than that one! Thanks a ton Schylling!

6. cdiddy

cdiddy New Member Member

If you are using Photoshop, there are tons of brushed metal "styles" that are available free on the Internet. Deviant Art has lots of free resources such as brushes, styles, fonts, etc. that you can download also.

7. zantasha

zantasha Freshman Master Designer

Assuming you're using Photoshop. Just make a layer with a grey-ish color then goto Filter>Noise>Add Noise and add 12%. Select Uniform and check "Monochromatic" box. You'll get something like this:

[​IMG]

Now Goto Filter>Blur>Motion Blur and select angel 45 and Distance from 40-50 or whatever you think is better. And you'll get this:
    [​IMG]

Now you can change the contrast with Ctrl+L to your desired. There's also a Plugin for photoshop called "Alien Skin Eye Candy Impact" which has a way better brushed metal effect with just a single click. :)