Spanning DVD Spines

Discussion in 'How to: Q&A' started by XR8FalconSBR, Jun 15, 2008.

1. XR8FalconSBR

XR8FalconSBR Member Member

Hey guys.

Just wondering if there is anyone able to work on a tutorial to teach nubs like me how to do a wallpaper effect over the spines of the dvd cover? I have seen some really good work out there and would like to give it a shot of my own.

Thanks,

XR8

2. Imail724

Imail724 New Member Member

Anyone know how to do this? I'd really like to make one two. I'm currently trying to do it with photoshop and trying to figure it out along the way, but is there any software made for this kind of thing?

3. rickssg

rickssg Freshman Designer

I'm pretty sure that there is no software available to do this. I believe that most people kind of figured it out on their own. I have done exactly one spanning spine cover set, so I'm not an expert, but I think mine came out OK. Also, I have tweaked one set that I downloaded to make it look better at the transitions.

It would be easy if the edges of DVD cases had sharp corners. Then you would just slice up the image into spine-width chunks and be done. But those blasted corners are curved rather than sharp, and that's what makes the process less straight-forward.

The first thing you have to realize, is that the accepted spine sizes (170 px for a standard amaray, 300 px for an 8-disc case, ect) actually refer to the part of the spine that is flat, and does not include the part that curves around the edges. If you simply cut your spanning image into, say, 170-pixel segments and slap them on the spines, you will have unsightly gaps. So you need to have more than the standard width worth of pixels. However, if I remember correctly (it's been a while since I did this), the centers of the segments that you use should be separated by 170 (or whatever the appropriate number is based on case size) pixels on the original image. That probably sounds confusing. Hopefully this example will help: If the center of one of your spines (say the third case) corresponds to pixel number 400 in your original image, then the center of the next spine should correspond to pixel number 570 of the original image. Since you are taking more than 170 pixels per spine, this means that parts of the image will be repeated on the curved part of one spine to the next. In other words, the segments of the original image that you use will overlap each other. Once you have got this figured out, simply fade the edge of the spine image into the front and back so that you will have a nice transition.

Another approach is that taken by Ric Easton and JupiterPrime in the "Ships of the line" collection for the Star Trek series. In this case, the spine image wraps all the way around the case, with the front and back elements placed over it. This eliminates the need for fading, and makes the process a little easier. Rather than segmenting the original image, you simply shift it by one spine-width for each case. The trick here is to make sure the original image is large enough for all the shifting you plan to do.

I hope this is helpful. If there is a strong demand, I may be able to find some time to make a little tutorial based on the one cover set that I did using a spanning spine image. If you would like to see that, respond to this thread. However, keep in mind that my method is not necessarily the only or best method. It's just what I worked out.