Safari 4 download - beta windows and mac!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by jayhawk, Feb 25, 2009.

1. jayhawk

jayhawk Administrator Staff Member

http://www.apple.com/safari/

uhm, this thing is the fastest browser... EVAR!

I'm using it on Mac, so I can't speak for windows... but its awesome!

[​IMG]

2. true

true Sophomore Member

Safari? Mac? Pass

3. Chewieshmoo

Chewieshmoo New Member Member

What is this "MAC" you speak of?

Seriously, I am sure it rocks on MAC but on Windows most will find they should stick with IE or Firefox......

4. jayhawk

I installed it on the wife's laptop... not quite as fast as it is on my macbook pro, but still pretty fast :) -

such apple haters :p

5. Chewieshmoo

I like APPLE however I am not willing to pay a premium simply for STYLE, I am all about hardware and you get much less hardware power (CPU/RAM/HARD DRIVE CAPACITY ETC) for your money on Apple products.........

Now give me a MACBOOK or MAC DESKTOP for an equal price compared to the hardware you get and I would be all over it.....

6. jayhawk

I know this is lame, but you get what you pay for.

Apple charges a premium for products because, (and again yes im a fanboy) they use quality materials to build. Compare what Sony tries to do emulating macbooks--they are basically the "mac" of the PC world in terms of style. The new unibody on the macs, with the green battery with crazy life--re-engineered to fit laptops... i dunno, impressive to me. The LCD's are also better, especially the cinema displays. If you every color calibrate an LCD, Mac LCD is pretty close out of the box.

But, I was just linking the software --and as far as OS goes--windows 7 is going to be nice, and its finally good looking. Will it have a journal'd filesystem though, probably not. XP was stable, but ugly. it also doesn't have a decent offering for a 64 bit platform. All these things are offered with OS X- built on UNIX/BSD.

By your own admission, the only thing deterring you is price :) - hop on the bus man, you're already walkin' behind it lol. really though, when the market share grows, expect a closer offering in price. The more you sell the more you can reduce profit margins to sell more...

give safari a try though ;) ---firefox will have their new browser in beta soon with the same java enhancements im sure.

7. gbk33

gbk33 Site Moderator Staff Member Site Staff

Apple materials and products are vastly superior to anything else on the market today. With Jobs taking a leave of absence, that might change - but for right now - there is no comparison.

8. Chewieshmoo

I totally agree, you get what you pay for, the top of the line PC I built from high end parts is a statement to that in fact.....
    I have tried safari on PC, as I said I wasn't impressed, I try all browsers and just about every bit of software.
    Walking behind the bus? LOL! I don't think so, you are entitled to your opinion, some could say the same about MAC with it's much smaller market share, and I been waiting a looong time for MACS to be of comparable value for the money, I really thought it might happen when Apple switched to INTEL CPU's but it didn't. If I have to wait for market share to increase even more until the prices become more comparable well, I think I will be waiting even longer. Come on, even other Macheads have freely admitted they pay a premium for nothing more than aesthetics..

No, you mis-interpret. Price is not what keeps me from Apple, it's VALUE, my opinon, in my eyes. I built my PC from scratch with very high end top of the line parts, each and every bit from the CPU to RAM to Case and Hard drive, I paid top dollar and built one hell of a PC, the best for games, video editing etc. So no, it's not price, it's value, for what I paid for in total I may of gotten a more stylish MAC (though again, that is all opinion, my rig looks like something Darth Vader would own and in my eyes is more sweet looking than any MAC) but it would as I was saying earlier been less of a CPU, hard drive, memory and videocard etc FOR THE SAME AMOUNT. No, it's not about the money, it's the power of the computer I GET for that money. I have used about every platform, every type of hardware at one time or another, from OSX to UNIX to Windows and it's never been about what is popular etc, just what works best for me at a price that gives me value and performance for my money.

But hey, since your an admitted Apple fan and I am prefer a PC, I think I have made my points so lets leave it at that, because this can go back and forth from days, I've seen it, you've seen it and I admit I know APPLE fans never back down, neither do I, so lets just agree to dis-agree. In the end neither of us is going to switch or convert the other, and that is fine, differences and choices are a good thing. Give me a Mac or Macbook and hell I will use it, give me the $$$$ for them and I will stick to building PC's.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  9. ApolloOne

ApolloOne Site Moderator Staff Member Site Staff

I respectfully disagree. I've been using Macs and PCs equally for nearly 20 years; the latter because there are some things I need that are PC only, and the former because they have always been outstanding machines.

I love building my own PCs as much as you do, but it's nice to know that when you take a Mac out of the box, it bloody well works, and if there's a problem, Apple will take care of it. With a custom PC, do I deal with the mobo maker, the graphics card maker, the reseller that sold me the RAM, the power supply manufacturer...you get my point.

In my line of work (graphics and post production) it's worth every penny to pay for something that is the product of years of R&D, tight quality control, and is well supported. Aesthetics don't even make the list of considerations.

PC because I have to. Mac because I want to.

I recall the old signature line I used in my emails in the 90s: "Windows 95 = Mac 84!"

10. jayhawk

These things always turn into mac vs pc argue-fests :)

I used to build my own pc's. Being a Linux/Unix guy--I'm a fan of the OS on Mac, it's perty, and extremely functional.

Apple lacks marketshare now, and it's almost like they don't want it. They could allow their os to transcend their own hardware but choose not to. Mostly, because they can't insure it works properly. With Windows, it's built to run on just about anything... the problem is, with that much flexibility, you sacrifice the quality and build of your product. I'm HOPING windows7 fixes some of those issues. It seems xp-stable-ish, but with a better looking vista gui. Add a journaled filesystem...and who knows!

11. jayhawk

btw, did you download this version of safari--because I agree, the last released for windows wasnt great at all... I'm just talking this one up because of the significant improvements :)

12. Chewieshmoo

Admitedly no, it was an earlier version but you know for me, I use IE7 ONLY for MS updates and everything else I use and love Firefox, especially Firefox in combination with Greasemonkey scripts. I also tried various versions of OPERA, and I even tried Google CHROME, Firefox does everything I want and need, plus I love and have a license for ROBOFORM which I use in both Firefox and IE but usually isn't supported by other browsers. Yes I know there are equivalent or built in apps for other browsers but I prefer Roboform for my needs. BTW I agree with your comments about how APPLE handles it OS licensing etc. Again I have no bias regarding platforms or Operating systems, hell I stuck with the commodore and Amiga OS (WORKBENCH) for years even after the PC platform conquered the market, like most of us I use and stick with what I like and prefer for my own reasons whether people agree with them or not and one does tend to defend their choosen platform for better or worse LOL! But I agree these things DO tend to spiral into debates on which is best which is pretty useless in the end, hell, what's best for me might not be best for you and VICE VERSA, there really is no "BETTER" just what is better for me or better for you, computers are tools, a means to an end, we just choose different ways to take the journey, may we all just be happy however we do it. :buddies:

13. ApolloOne

ApolloOne Site Moderator Staff Member Site Staff

Exactly! Remember in the 90s when Apple let third party manufacturers make Mac clones? That was a bit of a disaster.