Revisiting movies that scared you as a kid

Discussion in 'DVD talk' started by miketardis, Oct 25, 2007.

1. miketardis

miketardis Sophomore Member

As Halloween is my favorite day of the year, I usually celebrate October by watching as many horror films as I can. A recent TV showing of a horror film I saw years ago as a kid prompted me to write this thread about horror movies that scared you when you were younger and your reactions to them now.
    The film I saw recently was the Canadian horror film THE GATE (1987) which I first caught on video as a kid. I remember finding this one totally scary (especially the part with the hands reaching out from under the bed to grab the kids along with the zombies of the dead workman falling out of the wall.
    Seeing it now, its a pleasant and entertaining film but not remotely scary. Its creepier before all hell breaks loose with creepy shots of the smoke-belching pit but Randall William Cook's stop-motion creatures are quaint (though they do move more smoothly than David Allen's stuff) but they're more cute than horrific (even the big one). The zombie workman is well designed but not well-employed beyond his first shock appearance. The visual effects are good but the rendition of hell on earth doesn't really raise any shivers. The hidden messages played backwards on heavy metal records was old stuff even back them. The super-saturated blue lighting is more MTV than atmospheric and Michael Hoenig and J. Peter Robinson's score is not as effective as some of their individual works.
    Still, the three leads (including a young Stephen Dorff) are engaging and the supporting teenagers less annoying than usual.
    LionsGate apparently owns the rights to this one now (judging by the closed captioning info before the end credits) but I think the only R1 DVD of this is one of those budget discs in an oversized clear jewel case with artwork that once cluttered the racks of mall video and record stores.
    Horror films that I still find scary from my childhood, on the other hand, are HALLOWEEN, THE FOG (that closing shot...), THE HOWLING (whispers in the foggy night and that happy face sticker), THE CHANGELING (love that shot of the wheelchair at the top of the stairs that jolts Trish Van Devere)... "The Drop of Water" from BLACK SABBATH, and one I've seen more recently: GHOSTWATCH.
    One I've been wanting to revisit that I remember being really scared by was the TV movie DON'T GO TO SLEEP.
    What's yours?

2. dymx86

dymx86 New Member Member

The only movie that ever scared me was "halloween" when I was twelve. I sawhaloloween 2-6 before I saw the first halloween. So obviously it was scarier than all the others. I saw it late at night and couldn't sleep at all. I had to sleep with the lights on for about a week.

3. chaotic646

chaotic646 New Member Member

Agree with the original poster, The Gate scared the hell out of me when I was a kid but I would watch it anyway every time it was on...which seemed like every other day in the '80s. When I was like 4 or 5 the Michael Jackson "Thriller" video scared me too. Also the very first Nightmare on Elm Street...when the kid gets sucked into the bed (I think it was Johnny Depp's first movie appearance) and a fountain of blood shoots up to the ceiling...scared the hell out of me.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  4. dtssyst

dtssyst New Member Member

Salem's Lot was so scarry to me as a kid that I had to have the curtain closed and the covers over my neck.
    Why the curtain... The part where the kid knocks on the window and says let me in.
    The cover over the neck... vampire movie=blood sucker=neck bite=not going to happen with cover over neck.

5. Elisha

Elisha New Member Member

I remember as I Kid (~12 years) I watched Stephen King's Pet Sematary with my parents ( I don't know exactly, but I think it was Part 2). But I was not allowed to watch the scene where the small kid (which came back from the deads) killed the people. So over the years this movie was my no 1 Horror movies (even had nightmares of the kid :) )

3 or 4 Years later, when the movie was aired again and I was old enough to watch the scene, I was kinda disappointed, as the scene was not that horror at all and suddenly all the "mystery" about the movie was gone, for me.

@chaotic646
    Yeah that part when Michael transforms in a werewolf scared me too.

6. squire23

squire23 New Member Member

Gremlins. Gremlins absolutely, without any doubt scared the shit out of me when I was a kid. For about a year after I use to literally check under my bed & in my wardrobe everynight before I went to sleep. That film seriously fucked me up....

7. shaunofthedead9

shaunofthedead9 Member Member

The Exorcist was the one that would freak me the hell out as a kid. I later went and saw it when they re-released it a few years ago.

8. RichV

RichV New Member Member

I'm with you on this one. Terrified me. Not so bad now but it still creeps me out.

9. gbk33

gbk33 Site Moderator Staff Member Site Staff

American Werewolf in London.....I lost weeks of sleep because of that damn movie.

10. Darth Slater

Darth Slater this is me in 1988! man crazy huh? Subscribed

a movie cvalled vault of horror (a segment in it stil haunts me)

i just bought the dvd and i'm going to watch it, to see if it is still scay to me...

11. JZ1276

JZ1276 Member Member

Vault of Horror ...thats in a two pack now with the original Tales from the Crypt. I heard they did a horrible job editing out alot of scenes (esp. the "hammer" scene).

12. miketardis

I believe the only scene that's cut is the "neck keg" scene at the end of the vampire episode. It's been cut in America forever.

13. Darth Slater

why the hell do they edit this stuff, yet things like crude humour come in 2 disc unrated extended versions?

14. JZ1276

JZ1276 Member Member

Rocky dennis in Mask scared the hell out of me when I was a kid ..still get a little freaked when I see his face

15. miketardis

VAULT OF HORROR was cut down for an American PG rating in the early '70s and the "offending" material was never put back in for video releases in America. It'd be nice is some enterprising person in charge would reinstate the scene for DVD ala MGM/UA's wonderful Midnight Movies collection.
    While we're at it, where the hell is ISLAND OF TERROR?

16. Darth Slater

yes even now Eric Stoltz freaks me out (and thats with his normal face)

did you guys know that eric stoltz was the original marty mcfly in the back to the future movies, and they even filmed for a week with him, before replacing him with their original choice of michael J fox??

**i wonder if eric is still bitter about that one? **i would be

17. gbk33

gbk33 Site Moderator Staff Member Site Staff

I can see him as a McFly, but not a Marty. Do you know why they replaced him?

18. Darth Slater

because they originally wanted MJF, but with family ties it was impossible, but then he made an agreement with the producers of family ties, and became available

btw the opening sequence when you see "marty" arrive at docs house is all eric stoltz (the feet shot) bit of trivia for you there

and a few of the cutaways to doc brown talking to "marty" in the "lone pine" shopping mall parking lot are doc brown actualy talking to eric stoltz

now if they had just rplaced jar jar binks with michael J fox, that would have been cool

19. movieman

movieman Sophomore Scanner

^that one actually scared me to^.. Along with demonic toys and making contact.

20. JZ1276

JZ1276 Member Member

I knew that. It would be good if eventually a SE of BttF SE was released with Stoltz's footage