Remakes You'd Like To See

Discussion in 'DVD talk' started by miketardis, Apr 5, 2007.

1. miketardis

miketardis Sophomore Member

Since Hollywood is currently knee-deep in sequels and (especially) remakes, what film would you like to see remade? I'm thinking of storylines that could be improved with today's technology or ones that would be relevant to today's society.
    My vote: DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS. The original had a pretty good premise, but the special effects were somewhat lacking. I think they could really be spruced up well with today's special effects and CGI.
    What's yours?

2. djhmetfan2

djhmetfan2 New Member Member

I would like to see a Remake of Sherlock Holmes in the theaters.

3. Paper Pills

Paper Pills Sophomore Designer

i want to see revenge of the sith remade, properly

4. miketardis

I may be in the minority here, but I actually think that the last (first?) three SW films got progressively better. Of course, the overall feeling of watching all three films was that Lucas lost his heart and soul a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

5. ApolloOne

ApolloOne Site Moderator Staff Member Site Staff

Are there any films left to remake?

6. Paper Pills

probably not.

time to start remaking the remakes

7. GillMan

GillMan Member Member

I'm looking forward to the Prom Night remake. I'm probably the only one, but I just like those types of films. I love the original, so I will see this one also.

I'm also looking forward to the Wolf Man and Creature from the Black Lagoon remakes. I know Wolf Man is coming out in 2008.....but I haven't heard anything recently about Creature.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  8. rhino19

rhino19 New Member Member

How about remaking some of the old Stephen King movies? Think about it, all of them have the potential to be really good movies, but most of them were completely screwed up.

9. Paper Pills

i'd like to see a remake of tron

10. wezel19

wezel19 New Member Member

Anything with Tom Hanks the guy is the worst actor in the history of the world. Good call on Tron. What about inner space?

11. miketardis

INNERSPACE was basically a remake of FANTASTIC VOYAGE with more humor and much better effects. A young Joe Dante probably saw the original at a theater in the '60s on a double bill.

12. JupiterPrime

JupiterPrime New Member Designer

Nice one.

That I would actually entertain - Id still wait for it to come home though - I saw it like 10 times in the theater in Florida when it was new just because it was cuting edge back almost 30 or so years ago

13. eraseXtheXdoubt

eraseXtheXdoubt Freshman Member

some old western movies, the good quality would do so much for them

14. JupiterPrime

JupiterPrime New Member Designer

I actually think that old gritty film look adds a lot to why an old western is an old western, So Id have to disagree on that one

15. moviewatcher

moviewatcher New Member Member

The Movie Watcher

What is Originality?

One of the funniest things I have seen continuously throughout the ‘fan boy’ community and in other groups as well is the idea of complaining about sequels or complaining in general. Everywhere there is an opinion about sequels. Most movies, even if they’re not related to a sequel, they are mostly unoriginal. If we are going to talk about originality, let’s talk about it in a very general way that goes beyond sequels. Regardless of whether it’s a sequel or not a sequel, most movies have the same (archetypal content) within the story line. Romantic movies, Sci-Fi, action, and Drama and so on, it doesn’t matter, the same content is there almost always. If we are to bring original thinking to the screen or to the world then we have to look at what our limitations are in regards to what blocks original thinking. Let’s start here. What is original?

Everyday I hear the same opinion through a variety of outlets. The ironic thing is I have read the same quote on several different boards from several different people, and they are all saying, “Isn’t there any originality anymore?” How can these type of comments be any different than the ones their projecting unoriginality towards? Where’s the originality? Most boards are filled with unoriginal post. Blaming unoriginal thinking on another only perpetuates the negative unoriginality of the world. Blaming and projecting is part of the problem of unoriginality. One has to be open-minded and desire creativity within one self in order to bring a true creativeness about. This inner creativity may take shape in many different forms. The form doesn’t matter; it’s the underlining content that is the true gift. The form is a symbol of what lies much deeper. One has to be the cause of this creativeness. Ask yourself this question, am I creative? What do I do with my time? How negative am I? How much do I live my life in the past or how much time do I spend fantasying about the future?

Look at it this way, blaming unoriginality or blaming in general on another is weak-minded and unoriginal. The same goes for not doing anything about what you’re complaining about. Complaining and not doing anything about it is never justified. I find this quality the worst of the human traits. Complaining is the opposite of original thinking. Don’t be a wimp and complain or if you do then do something about it. Take a Photoshop course, master a movie making program, and edit the movies yourself. Start teaching about movies, start groups online, or start one in your hometown. Offer your house or apartment over to share and connect with people. These are the things I did. And this opened me up to a creativeness that I was not aware of.

The question is: What are you doing about it? This is the question I asked myself. I have had the same negative responses to what Hollywood has been producing in the past. I changed when I realized I was depending on a crazy system to fulfill my desire for creativeness. I started writing, watching movies from a different perspective, looking for content in the writing and the direction. I opened myself up to all movies around the world. I watched bonus info on many DVD disc to learn, not to judge how good it was. The most helpful bonus disc I have ever watched was THX. The material covered the life situation of Stephen Spielberg, Francis Coppola, and George Lucas. After this documentary I began to appreciate that it’s hard for many directors to get their originally conceived movies to the screen. “Maybe we are all part of the problem,” I asked myself. The real question is: how bad do we want it? And how much compromise will we submit ourselves to?

George Lucas made the original Star wars from a place of devotion and creativity. He didn’t know what he was doing. He went from moment to moment. But the system free environment George and Coppola fought against and created their first movies in fell away into the depths of unoriginality of the system as they all eventually built a system around themselves through their financial success. System free and not knowing is a good place to be for creating genuinely. Being open-minded and not knowing is truly original. Remember, if we are to bring original thinking to the screen (the world) then we have to look at what our limitations are. Unoriginality is not just in Hollywood, or TV. It’s in our mail post, our conversations at work, at home and our emails, and ultimately it’s found in oneself. The creativity we expect from someone else is selfish and unoriginal thinking? Inner questioning uncovers ones limitations, this type of questioning opens one to true creativity - What is original? - How do you know what original is? - Can we be certain that we are not unoriginal ourselves? The real question is how original are you? How open are you to your own creativity? Are you ready to let go of the splinter of unoriginality in your mind? These are a few words to sink into.

Movie Watcher

16. eraseXtheXdoubt

eraseXtheXdoubt Freshman Member

wow, you should post more often

17. 1Bullet

1Bullet Member Member

anything by Alfred Hitchcock would by great!
    I really would like to se a remake of: The Birds

18. master_shake

master_shake New Member Member

Your in luck 1Bullet, for there is a remake of THE BIRDS currently being put into pre-production with the incredibly beautiful and equally talented miss Naomi Watts attached to star in the Tippi Hedron role. No director has officially been attached but from the looks of it, we can expect this remake to hit theaters by October of next year.

19. flaminio

flaminio Freshman Member

Let me rephrase that for you:

Any remake of an Alfred Hitchcock film WILL AUTOMATICALLY SUCK. Have you forgotten the Psyho remake already?

There are some directors whose style is so distinctive that you just can not remake them. Hitchcock is one; Kubrick is another.

20. never ready

never ready New Member Member

I wouldn't mind a remake of David Cronenberg's Shivers.