Question about printing

Discussion in 'How to: Q&A' started by macnorton, Feb 12, 2008.

1. macnorton

macnorton New Member Member

Hello everyone. I am new here so bear with me if this has been asked before.

I have downloaded covers in the past and usually, things don't work out when I print them. I am never sure if it is the printer I am using or the paper..or even the application. So, if anyone could answer these questions for me, it would really be appreciated:

1. What printer should I user (in terms of DPI, resolution and such)?
    2. What application should I use (at the moment Memorex has a freebie, but it is a little difficult to user)?
    3. What kind of paper should I use (a user on DVDTalk suggested photo paper, but isn't that too thick?)?

Again if anyone can help, that would be awesome.

2. wormraper

wormraper Freshman Scanner

1. A good photo printer is what you'll need. I personally like the Epson R series for bang to buck (especially when coupled with a CISS)

2. Applications can be many. Coverxp is good. My personal preference is straight from photoshop. Basically any program that allows you to print the photo without altering it in any way (like cropping etc...)

3. Paper IMO should be good quality photo paper, I've found that the high gloss premium photo paper from Costco is Fantastic!!!, best I've used yet. Absorbs ink really well and drys like lightning. Plus it's only $17.99 for 125 sheets!!! HD premium is really good. Same with Epson and Canon premium.

3. macnorton

Awesome! Thanks for the reply. Two more question, what is the name of the Costo paper? I have been there recently and they only seem to have Epson. And what should I look for in the R series (any specific model...and what is CISS...sorry my printer knowledge outside of laser printers is lacking).

Thanks again.

4. Paper Pills

Paper Pills Sophomore Designer

he is talking about a Continous Ink System.

I think the R200 is one of the most popular epson's. i am an HP and xerox guy so don't quote me.

finally, costco has a kirkland brand but their pricing on epson paper should be much better than staples.

5. wormraper

Epson is good Photo paper too. Their brand is the Kirkland brand. Go for their premium stuff. It's $17.99 per 125 sheets. Good good stuff..

In the R series just about any will do. You might come across some of the 200 series like the 200,220 or 260 still lying around but they have been discontinued. Right now you can get the Epson R380 at Officemax for $99 while supplies last. Real good printer, especially for that killer of a price.

and CISS stands for Continuous Ink Supply System. you can find them on ebay for about 60 bucks shipped. They use tanks of ink that hold tons more than the crappy cartridges do and costs you pennies to print versus dollars. Well worth the investment.

6. macnorton

7. wormraper

8. Paper Pills

be careful with cheap cis systems....if the end of the cart is a sponge, it dries out and you fuck the printer. more expensive systems are more durable. think of it as an investment...you will save so much in ink that you will repay the investment in a higher quality system.

9. macnorton

Again thanks for answering my questions...making the new guy feel welcome is always cool. Just waiting for my tax rebate check and I going to buy the CISS and printer. Spotted the paper at Costco yesterday too. It is now 150 sheets for 16.99

10. Paper Pills

no problem. check out inkrepublic.com that is another site that some people i know swear by for the system. they buy the ink on ebay or where they find the cheapest price...but the actual system they got from that site.

11. wormraper

wow, now that is a nice CIS system!!!, a little pricey but looks like stunning quality. I may have to start saving my pennies for one of those.

12. Paper Pills

well...basically the system paid for itself for one guy i know....in ink savings. the other dude i know that got it from them broke 2 r200s and the ink system is still going on his third.

there has to be alot of r200s around still....he got on in august and he got another in Dec.

if only i could find a good CIS for my HP printer that is a better value than how i buy ink now.

13. wormraper

lol, yeah, most people will go through multiple R200's, they were the buggies and crappies (in terms of longevity) of the epson R series.

14. BBill

BBill Member Member

I have an Epson R-340 , R-380 and Stylus Photo RX700 and all have CIS systems from Print-on a dime. Good , cheap, and they answered some of my stupid questions without getting pissed-off!!