Q&A: What Are Moire Patterns In Scans ?

Discussion in 'How to: Q&A' started by ctaulbee, Oct 13, 2005.

1. ctaulbee

ctaulbee Demigod Moderator Staff Member Site Staff

This is an example of moire patterns that need to be removed from scans before posting.

[​IMG]

Many scanning software packages have an option to remove moire patterns if your's has it you should enable it. This usually the best way to deal with the problem. Your scanning software may also refer to Moire Patterns as Halftone Dots same thing.

In addition the scanning tutorial on the site has a section on how to deal with moire patterns using photoshop you can get a copy of it here.

Link To Download The R1DB Scanning Tutorial
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  2. larrylar

larrylar 7 Time MVP Designer

Thanks for this, I always wondered about that. I suck at scannimg.
  3. customdawg

customdawg Guest

Cool! Thanks CTaulBee! I scanned a cover yesterday and it came out with all those funky scan lines. I tried doing a search for a tutorial to remove it but then I found this! Heheh. Thanks again!
  4. JupiterPrime

JupiterPrime New Member Designer

Of course, it also pays to have a "good" scanner - I have a discontinued HP-something-or-other $70 USB PoS, which does an abso-tively, poss-olutely CRAP job...before that I had a old, blocky, took-up-half-the-desk-space UMAX Vistaseries S6E SCSI scanner that I paid $400 for 15-or-so years ago, and the descreener cleaned it out PERFECTLY - I mean NOTHING.

You would have never known that my scanned image from a printed piece was not an original photograph or digital file - I've since tossed it becasue it was so old, there no drivers from teh manufacturer to make it work with Win2K...I had to fool the O/S into thinking it was something else that id DID have a driver for...and it was a lost hopeless cause under WindowsXP

Id be willing to bet that today, I could have gotten it working somehow - Im sorry I trashed it - I LOVED that scanner
  5. svenno

svenno Member Member

I read your tutorial on scanning and (as is usually is the case) - learned something new. The formula for Unsharp Mask being approximately twice the radius value used for Gaussian Blur. Tried it on a few old scans and it definitely is easier and more consistent than my old method - trial and (mostly) error. Regarding the "straightening" tips, I remember coming across an article somewhere that recommended using the Measure Tool along any level line in the image, in conjunction with the "Image - Rotate Canvas - Arbitrary" tool (the "arbitrary rotation" amount is already filled in by the measuring tool). I have found this to be a relatively easy way to level my scans. Used to rescan umpteen times, trying to get it perfectly square. After discovering this technique, I just set up the target relatively square, scan, then line up the Measure Tool along any straight, level line within the image, then go to Image - Rotate Canvas - Arbitrary, and presto - all straight. [Had to come back this a.m. and edit. ]
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2005
  6. angryant

angryant Guest

thanks

just starting to learn to do scans and all the tips are great.
    have a hp scanjet 2400 and i hope its good enough to do
    the job and pass inspection.
  7. Darth Slater

Darth Slater this is me in 1988! man crazy huh? Subscribed

Great tips!!! (I actually learned something,)

and great before and after examples...

however, Eliza, looks beautiful any old way LOL
  8. badwitch

badwitch New Member Member

wow i printed it out I'm going step by step, the only thing is i have a very old scanner mustek 1200 haven used it much, it didn't want to run to well with winXP
  9. brassstaxxx

brassstaxxx New Member Member

OK, It makes sense now, I didn't know my scanner even had that option lol... Anyways mine calls them half tone dots wouldn't have noticed if not 4 this TUT...Peace
  10. rayden54

rayden54 Member Member

Is there any way to remove the rainbow lines too? The tutorial just blurrs them, but they're still there (and still rainbow).

If you don't know what I mean here's a picture.
    [​IMG]
    The top part's supposed to be white.
  11. ORiON

ORiON New Member Member

hey men! thanks to share this with us!
  12. jellyb

jellyb New Member Member

Thanks for the help with the morie patterns, I am downloading the link now, can't wait to try it out.
  13. VARA

VARA Member Member

WOW! ^o^

Thank You
  14. fakeuser512

fakeuser512 Sophomore Member

15. crumble

crumble New Member Member

Get an epson scanner, i think they are the best out there!
  16. Huerta

Huerta New Member Member

Great tutorial!! Very useful!
    Thanks!
  17. SavageNarce

SavageNarce New Member Member

It would help if you could provide a little more info on the scan and resolution settings - is this a very small section of a very large scan?

At some point, you're going to come up with artifacts like this - also known as "noise" - and there can be multiple reasons. Your source material may be faulty - is it possible the rainbow lines are printed in the original, and the scan is 100% accurate? Does this effect also occur if you scan a sheet of plain white paper? If so, you still have some possibilities: your display is causing the lines, or your scanner is doing it. To find out which, view the scan on a different computer. If the lines still appear, then the problem is in your scanner. If not, you may need a new display.
  18. ctaulbee

ctaulbee Demigod Moderator Staff Member Site Staff

When I saw this problem it turned out to be the scanner had an issue of somekind so for me it was new scanner and then no more rainbows.
  19. Ryu Halyabusa

Ryu Halyabusa New Member Member

thanks for the tips :D