Q&A: Spanning Spines Size?

Discussion in 'How to: Q&A' started by ozsplace, Feb 11, 2006.

1. ozsplace

ozsplace Member Member

When making a spanning spine i.e. an image those goes across multiple spines, do you add 5 pixels to the right and left of the spine?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2011
  2. Corvin

Corvin Freshman Master Designer

Not sure about the exact pixels, but yes I make the spine a hair wider than the norm.

3. JupiterPrime

JupiterPrime New Member Designer

more like 35 to cover the rounded corner wraparound of the case - fronts/backs are still 1535, just let your spine image for that case creep 30-35 pixels each into the front and back

4. ozsplace

ozsplace Member Member

Thanks Jup

5. starwarsgeek

starwarsgeek Member Member

Interesting... I never knew that. I did a few with just using the exact dimensions for the spine and it came out okay. What about when you're making a thinkpak case series? How many pixels do you "overlap"? The same amount, or less (since the cases are thinner)?

6. boneapart

boneapart New Member Designer

I have always made my spines 170pixels X 2175pixels and they always fit the cover perfectly and print perfectly.

7. JupiterPrime

it just covers the wrapping corner which is not perfectly square - that amount is fine for any type of cover size - were not talking about spine width, were talking about how much to wrap around each spine

8. McNish

McNish Member Member

Thanks for the tip, Jup! This will come in handy when I design covers with spanning spines.

9. Moonshadow

Moonshadow R1DB Lifer

I have adde 5 pixels each side on some and blurred this from solid to clear, then on othere have added nothing.

Both seem fine to me ?

I guess it depends if your background spanns the front and back of the cover as well (e.g. my Futurama set) or if it does not (e.g. my MASH set)

Food for thought.

10. JupiterPrime

what it is for me, is that my shelves are caddy cornerd into a corner and I dont look at them dead on from a distance, so I can see the discontinuity if I dont add the wrap-around imagery

11. Moonshadow

Moonshadow R1DB Lifer

Now I understand, remind me never to buy those things :wink:

BTW Your covers are still ACE hard up against each other.

12. ozsplace

ozsplace Member Member

Do you use the slice tool to break the image into spine selection or do you use guides set at 170 px and adjust the select box to 180px?

13. JupiterPrime

however works best for you - personally, I work on a single file with many layer sets and a background large enough to encompass the whole series. Then I get the whole background set up the way I want, merge the unique spine elements together, apply a layer mask area only showing the spine area, un-achor the mask from the layer, link the layer to the background and use the transform tool's numerical controls at the top bar to precisely move the linked images the desired width it needs to move - the layer mask takes care of the rest

I realized that all probably sounds a little advanced for a beginner, but eventually you'll get it. My method prevents me from having "X" number of PSD files for one series, however this single PSD winds up being rather huge.....but im only working in one file and dont have to worry about anything I might have done differently on another matching file....all common elements to the series are all locallized in one place.

14. Corvin

One file, eh. If it gets corrupted you are screwed. At least with multiple files you can go into a different season and recreate something if need be.

15. JupiterPrime

Yeah I know, and I definitely hear you there, but for me, it just makes things a lot easier so I dont have to worry about if all the minutia is the same and consistently placed throughout the set....and thats what CD and offsite backup is for too <wink>

16. bazzah

bazzah Freshman Member

Talking of backup. How big are everyone's psd folders? I just looked, and mine is 50GB.

17. Corvin

mine is a paltry 13GB for everything I have ever done.

18. JupiterPrime

currenlty about only 3GB, but I have 3 DVDs and around 25 CDs burned with all my backup

19. rickssg

rickssg Freshman Designer

OK, Jup, I am actually trying to do a spanning spine set right now for standard-width cases. Please forgive my lack of knowledge and understanding as I am an unskilled beginner.

I just want to know how many unique pixels you use on the spine. And are the 30-35 pixels that get wrapped around the front of one cover the same 30-35 pixels that get wrapped around the back of the next cover?

20. Corvin

I can't speak for Jup, but that is how I do it. The part that wraps around the front of one is the same as the part that wraps around the back of the next.