Q&A: Does anyone know anything about pantone colours?

Discussion in 'How to: Q&A' started by Hickaway, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Hickaway

Hickaway Freshman Member

I have found to get the pantone colour for HEX is near impossible to get, most would say use Photoshop. But I have plugged in the same number for Adobe illustrator and found the colour to be different as well. Which one is correct?
    Do I really need to buy expensive software to get my monitor calibrated for it to even begin to get the correct pantone?

Does anyone out there have proper advice?

Thanks for viewing my rant:)
    Hickaway
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2011
  2. kunkstyle

kunkstyle New Member Member

If I'm not mistaken, Pantone is for print, not your monitor. It's based on the CYMK system. If you want to convert them, there's a rough conversion chart found here.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2006
  3. JupiterPrime

JupiterPrime New Member Designer

Kunk is correct - partly...Pantone is for print but it is not based on the 4-color system - it is a solid ink system whereby its pigment is premixed, meaning that if you were to use a pantone color in a print piece that incorporated any CMYK, the pantone color would be a 5th color, another would be a 6th and so on...

thats why Hickaway is having such a hard time matching calibration on a 3 color additive R G B device to match a color in a non-additive system....closest you could do is to select the pantone color and have Illustrator convert it to CMYK or RGB - it wont be exact though

or you could stop in to any art store and buy one of the color sample flip books that have all the pantone colors in them to use a visual sample of the color you want and just build on screen using that color
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2006
  4. Hickaway

Hickaway Freshman Member

yeesh!:scratch:

"There is no spoon"
  5. Casejonz

Casejonz Guest

The pantone books will show you how the color looks if it is a matte, gloss, etc, etc, They also have the codes to convert using CMYK. However, the best case scenario, is if you plan to print in pantone, and want to design as such, you should use the pantone books to check for density and chroma and then select to use the pantone palette in Photoshop or Illustrator.
  6. Hickaway

Hickaway Freshman Member

I have pretty much given up on pantone, even if I could get it bang on it would be different on someone else’s computer anyways.

Thank you for the education though I will not let it go to waist!

Hickaway
  7. noraz

noraz New Member Member

Dose anybody know why are so many PantoneGroup Codes? And whats the difference betwen them