PS2 chip mod - Giving in

Discussion in 'Technology' started by JupiterPrime, Oct 25, 2008.

1. JupiterPrime

JupiterPrime New Member Designer

OK, guys, Nothing seems to work and my console seems to be far too new for any of the old previous brands of soft-mods to work. I have no choice but to Chip mod this thing...this is especially after acquiring an already modded XBox and loving it.

So I know there's no hard drive in this thing and the best I could hope for is to just copy games to disk. but I'd like to ask this....Is there a chip mod that will let me play games saved to an external Networked or USB drive rather that just play from a copied disc?

Either way, I like to know whats the best chip option for the slim PS2 and which is easiest to install that will let me do what I have to so and where to get all the software I need to make it run. Is it possible to take it one f these mom and pop chinese electronics repair places and ask if they'll do it?

TIA homeys
    JP

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  2. JupiterPrime

I cant get no love on this?

3. Lucan63

Lucan63 Freshman Member

have you tried swapmagic3.com? Thought about giving them a whirl myself.

4. JupiterPrime

As I said, I've given up on the soft-mod option as none of them will work for me or my model of slim PS2

I need to know whats the best hardware mod-chip option that will allow me to play from copied discs and/or connected USB hard drive....and whether or not its a good idea to try and find a local shop to (hopefully) do it for me.

5. Darth Slater

Darth Slater this is me in 1988! man crazy huh? Subscribed

I too had problems with the swap mode, (it would work for some backups but not others, plus its a pain in the ass, to swap... I too just want a chip that will play all the backuped games upon insertion...

I also want an x-box 360 mod chip too

6. Chewieshmoo

Chewieshmoo New Member Member

You can want a 360 chip all you want, unfortunately the only option for 360 still is a firmware flash to play backups that have been "patched". I am sure once a chip comparable to PS2 that just "works" on simple backups appears you while be hearing about it all over! Sony and MS were very careful this gen of consoles, PS3 has NO backup method period yet..........................
    B&B BTW Gord, hitting the road again now, heading to Victoria..........

7. JupiterPrime

Hey Chewie,
    So whats my options here?

Label on the bottom says: Model number SCPH-77001

Whats my best chipping option?

8. Chewieshmoo

http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=105124
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/564817

Above links might lead you to some info, unfortunately since I have had pretty much flawless experience with my PS2 swapMagic/fliptop lid combo I have not personally used a modchipped PS2 of any type, I would not want to steer you in the wrong direction in this matter, I would only suggest you research and ask these questions in the same forums and sites that deal with PS2 modchips and modchip installing and use. The usual suspects :

http://www.alucard.cc/forums/index.php
    http://forums.psxforum.com/viewforum.php?f=11
    http://forums.maxconsole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Let me make one thing clear, I myself ask a variety of questions on forums here and other forums
    and defintely there is a great chance that somebody here has all your answers and knows much more than I on this subject but at the same time if I were looking for answers on DVD covers I would not ask it at a forum that is primarily for stamp collectors by the same token the best source for PS2 modding is probably going to be at a forum that mainly focuses on installing, using and resolving issue's with PS2 modchips, nobody likes going to an unfamiliar forum or site to ask questions but sometimes it is the best way to get quick and accurate answer. If you find the answer or someone here can point you in the right direction great! If not you should consider asking around PS2 forums, either way good luck, I will be monitoring this thread myself as I still am considering a modchipped PS2 and am interested in the same answers, good luck!

9. Darth Slater

I have a place near me that installs a chip for $50 what the hell i'll get it done!

swap magic NEVEr worked well with my games (it worked good with some but not others... hey rob send me a copy of your swap magics (i already have a flip top that came with it i installed it myself

but for games like any of the GTA's it crashes, and or is mega slow loading

hey did you get my package (man that sounds bad LOL)

10. JupiterPrime

Does HD loader work without chipping the console? I have a Buffalo 250GB external Network/USB drive. Can I just connect that drive to teh console, run HDLoader and play games that I put on that drive?

Where would I find HD Loader? Seems discontinued.

11. manwithaplan

manwithaplan New Member Member

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  12. JupiterPrime

$50 and Out of Stock?

No no no no no....there's got to be a free P2P download or Torrent somewhere, and I know that someone here knows where, or knows someone who knows someone that knows where to download it.

Come on people...we're all cheap broke bastards.
    My PM box is fine if you dont wanna give out in public.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  13. Chewieshmoo

LOL! Ah if only it were that simple I would not of bought my Swap Magic disks! I would of downloaded and burned them myself. A "copy"f the swap magic disks would not work, think about it, if you could boot copied disks you would not need swap magic disks, or to be more specific, the Swap Magic disks are regular "pressed" disks, just like an original PS2 game they contain the same boot code as a retail game, it boots in the exact same way, loads the menu and THEN you flip the lid and load your copy of the game! YOU CANNOT BOOT COPIES OF SWAP MAGIC any more then you can boot copied games without a modchip or REAL Original swap Magic discs! You would in effect have to use your swap Magic Disks to boot my copies of my Swap Magic disks to load the backup game which is pretty useless.

BTW- I had more incompatiblities with older version of swap Magic but the latest version 3.6 has been great, all GTA's etc load fine, I have only ever failed to load 2 games (out of close to 300 0r so) , EA will sometimes give you trouble but also note the instructions that came with your Swap Magic discs as there are a couple methods (different modes) to load some discs.............

BTW it is 5:15pm Thurs Oct 30th, I am in a cabin at a B&B on salts Spring Island, we have wireless and I am just sneaking in some online time as Mel is resting before we go out for dinner............
    I brought the laptop only to view and backup our vacation photos and videos REALLY LOL!
    :biggrin:
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Unfotunately any "copy" or burned backup of Swap Magic or HD loader will be as useless as a burned game, you still have no way to load them initially! They are no different then pressed retail game disks..........

I have used both HDloader and swap Magic with great success but they are original retail versions.......

14. Darth Slater

I have version 1.3 or something like that, and it costa fortune ($60 for the swap magic disks and cover) then the stupid duty charges and UPS 430 bukllshit fee total $118...

plus i don't have anywhere to get backup anymore, my guy closed down, and still haven't found a good program that copies ps2 discs (a dvd copier program does not work)

so any links or such to a good ps2 copying program would be great rather here or via pm///

15. manwithaplan

Best place mininova.org and download via bittorent

If you just want to copy your games and backup them then use imageburn http://www.imgburn.com/

Its free and just put disc in your drive and select Create Image File From disc.

16. Darth Slater

Thanks MWAP!! you da ...well man with a plan!! LOL

17. manwithaplan

18. Chewieshmoo

manwithaplan is right on, IMGBURN is the best really, small, fast, simple intuitive interface, insert disc, create an image of your original retail disc (label it anything but the game title is probably best for simplifying) insert blank, choose wrte image and burn back to disc, it doesn't get easier or simpler and best of all it's FREE, regularly updated and even guides and support on the sight!
    For the record this app will burn just about any disc type you throw at it flawlessly, it's the only thing I have found to properly burn gamecube images easily also!

BTW, yeah DarthSlater Swap Magic 1.3 had some issues, but I have found 3.6 MUCH better as I have explained above, for the record for yes you were kind of screwed on that deal, for Swap Magic, HDloader and all sort of console accessories I have had much success with THIS site for better prices, shipping etc especially for Canadians like us! :bigthumb:

http://www.consolesource.com/ecomm/catalog/index.html

iT'S WHERE i GET MY CONSOLE GEAR, ALWAYS LATEST VERSIONS TOO!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  19. Darth Slater

cool so many links now thanks guys (and rob)