Netflix DVD by Mail

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by the lug, Dec 31, 2016.

1. the lug

the lug Member Member

So now that Netflix destroyed the dvd rental market (both mom and pop as well as blockbuster) and the studios are still continuing to charge a ridiculous amount for streaming rights as well as extending the window before streaming rights are allowed because of pay tv agreement windows, is the time right for a resurgence in the brick and mortar rental market beings that all of the streaming services are now interested in becoming studios and content providers themselves?

I don't really count redbox because they just "only play the hits."
  2. Hailstorm

Hailstorm P.I.T.A. Cover Moderator Staff Member Site Staff

Nope, the main reason for the collapse of Mom & Pop Video stores was not Netflix, it was stores like Blockbuster and Hollywood Video, which now are extinct also. As for Red Box, never used one yet and don't plan on using them either.
  3. LoPan787

LoPan787 Member Member Restricted

Family Video is still around! Of course, they were smart enough to go online and get into the buying/selling market early. Actually, though, I'm really not sure how they're still around.
  4. the lug

the lug Member Member

I would even take a resurrection of ballbuster video at this point. I know they still haveva few locations around...mostly down south, i believe
  5. the lug

the lug Member Member

I stand corrected. Their website lists 30 franchised stores in Alaska, Indiana, Texas, Florida and one or two other states...plus a streaming service for (new releases ppv i guess) if you have dish.
  6. Hailstorm

Hailstorm P.I.T.A. Cover Moderator Staff Member Site Staff

Like I should care where they have stores anymore, I never used them and will never use them, Why? Well they made me close my store in 1992.
  7. LoPan787

LoPan787 Member Member Restricted

My personal thought on all of this is that I'm happy to own most films. If I want to sample a film I have plenty of good options. The best option would be a library, then you have all the streaming services, and lastly is something like Red Box (really not a fan of that one, though). The library at least somewhat gives the experience of browsing a video store, but there's not rental fees involved.
  8. the lug

the lug Member Member

Bummer Hail...didn't know you were bulldozed. I definitely get your take.

Off topic (for the off topic area) do you no longer get credits for posting in forums?