Movies that improve on the book

Discussion in 'DVD talk' started by miketardis, Dec 6, 2007.

1. miketardis

miketardis Sophomore Member

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/features/20071130-9999-lz1c30better.html

A few kinda odd choices to me (BABE? THE GRADUATE?) though I never cared one way or the other about Bond films so don't think they improved on the books. There must be lots of movies that are better than the book though usually ones based on books hardly anybody knows about. For instance I've always heard that TOUCH OF EVIL is based on a mediocre book (by Harry Whittington) and how many people have read Alan Le May's THE SEARCHERS? But those are just ones off the top of my head that have been in print within the past couple of decades rather than all the decent films up through the 60's that you'd go "That was based on a book?"
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  2. AmishFury

AmishFury New Member Member

usually i feel the book is better but it's not uncommon for the movie to have certain scenes that i feel were handled better in the movie than they were in the book
  3. saq428

saq428 New Member Member

Not many movies do improve on the book. At least none that I've seen and read.
  4. Zoekie

Zoekie New Member Member

Jaws. The book is nothing compared to the movie.
  5. yoshie66

yoshie66 Member Member

Blade Runner, Forrest Gump, Fight Club, The Firm
  6. kylain_tokani

kylain_tokani Member Member

Contact, The Shawshank Redemption, Planet of the Apes, and What Dreams May Come. All in my honest opinion, of course.
  7. draco_74401

draco_74401 Member Member

The Ruins..of course the script was written by the original auther so that helps.
    ANY movie made from a Stephen King novel or short story.
  8. WyldeMan45

WyldeMan45 New Member Member

Appaloosa, to me was almost page for page scene for scene, but the visual style of Ed Harris really blew me away as I am a huge fan of Robert B. Parkers series.
  9. Wantedangelus

Wantedangelus Member Member

I've heard a lot of King's books either have whole subplots lost or they end up merging two or more characters to drop the excessive number of backgrounds. Sometimes, they tone down scenes for viewing. Like Gage Creeds constant vulgarity in Pet Sematary. And in Cujo, the ghost in Tad's closet was supposed to be Frank Dodd, the deputy who committed suicide in The Dead Zone, and would later possess Cujo. In the movie, Cujo just got rabies from being bitten by a bat.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  10. Andysaurus

Andysaurus New Member Member

i would say big fish
  11. piolofloyd

piolofloyd Member Member

Lord Of The Rings!! Best Movie, Best Book!!!