Modding a DS Help!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by manwithaplan, Jul 16, 2008.

1. manwithaplan

manwithaplan New Member Member

A friend of mine has a cartridge that you put in his Nintendo DS Lite (same slot as you put the games) and a Micro Memory card into that.
    He downloads games for it puts them onto the memory card and they play fine.

However the person he bought it from is longer contactable so i would like to know where you can get these things from.

Ive seen some that require an extra cart to plug in the bottom of the DS but his one just uses the one cart.

can anyone help please.

Oh yeah im from the UK if that makes any difference to the places to buy from :)

Cheers

2. Darth Slater

Darth Slater this is me in 1988! man crazy huh? Subscribed

and on that topic I too need help with a good program for backing up my ps2 games, and also a program for backing up my X-Box 360 games

any points in the right direction would be great (im in canada though)

:4:

3. true

true Sophomore Member

Its called a R4DS (R4 chip) which are about $50. The China factory recently got raided so I am not sure how hard or easy they are to find.
    It is pretty easy to use. It even comes with a microSD adapter.

DL the roms
    Drag on to microSD
    Put microSD in R4
    Put R4 in DS
    Play

I got mine earlier this year. Got about 300 roms on my DS.

[​IMG]

4. koentjexl

koentjexl Sophomore Member

I have a M3Real myself.
    It works basically the same as with the R4 that True mentioned.
    Download the roms via usenet or torrents and drag them to a microSD card.
    I've got an 8Gb card myself. I got a package that contained a rumblepack and a GBApack as well.

[​IMG]

If you Google R4DS or M3Real, I'm sure you get loads of sites that sell these cards.

Good luck, m8.

5. manwithaplan

Just bought an R4 kit from Amazon for £20 ($40 dollars) :)

Do you have to download the menu files though to put on the card first as one review said you had to do that?

6. koentjexl

You can download the software from R4ds.com.
    You have to update every once in a while to play the latest games.

7. Chewieshmoo

Chewieshmoo New Member Member

FYI- Any basic DVD copy program will do for the PS2 games. they are not protected since they need a modchip or Swap Magic disc to run.

The Xbox 360 though is another matter, i know you lost a supplier and I hate to break it to you but even if you have a Dual Layer Burner AND Blank Dual Layer discs you cannot simply run a program to copy them. Oh you can copy easily any backups you already have sure, use dual layer burner and media and again just about any DVD burning program. If however you are looking to burn original retails discs you cannot, no program can because a PC drive cannot properly read them, if it could though even if you successfully copied the data you still have to PATCH the copy (all modded 360's are firmware patched) the copies are patched so your 360 boots the copies, you also need to know which firmware patch your 360 was flashed with. That is all I know on the subject, PLEASE anyone who knows more regarding 360 backups chime in and correct or update this info. If it was a simple modchip and backup progrma for the PC then trust me I would have a 360 right now............

8. Darth Slater

Darth Slater this is me in 1988! man crazy huh? Subscribed

thanks rob! thats why i have had so much trouble finding info

9. manwithaplan

Yeah baby Yeahl :D

Just got delivery of the card and now im playing £30-$60 DS games yeehah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. koentjexl

Then why are you still posting on the forums?
    Go play. :D

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  11. manwithaplan

hehe thumbs are killing me now :D

Ok have got 25 games on the 1Gb, but now wanna expand :D, does anyone know if the DS will play a 4GB card as i read some reviews and some said that it will only play on a max of 2GB card?

12. Chewieshmoo

I have a 2gb card, you should probably stick to what is claimed by the card developers. An additional 2gb card is plenty though for DS games LOL! Yeah the DS really is sweet being able to play ROMS, Homebrew, Emulators etc, check out lots of Homebrew some is it is well worth the download!!!! Try to get a hold of an NDS rom for Dementia the WARD a very competant Survival Horror title, damn good title and pushes the DS Hardware! Have fun. :bigthumb:

13. manwithaplan

Ok cheers yeah i guess 2GB is enough and i can always fill up as many of those as i like :D

I'm in the middle of downloading Dementia now, my son was pestering me for that game the minute i got home :D

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  14. Chewieshmoo

Your son is smart, it's awesome. Besides you can store unlimited DS games on your PC until your ready to load onto your card, or hell burn onto a couple DVD's for safe keeping lol!

15. manwithaplan

Too true, now im off to try and sort out his PS2 and PSP :D