Is Roku the first step to making disc media obsolete?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by rickssg, May 7, 2009.

1. rickssg

rickssg Freshman Designer

So now you can spend $100 on a little box (see www.roku.com) that uses the internet to stream movies to your TV. It has HDMI, component, and S-video outputs, and it has stereo RCA and optical audio outputs. The content is provided by netflix and Amazon. Amazon content is rented, while Netflix content is on a subscription basis.

The drawbacks:
    1) content is rented or subscribed to rather than purchased
    2) max video resolution is 720p
    3) video quality depends on internet connection speed
    4) while an optical output is provided, no mention is made of whether this will contain more than just stereo.

My personal opinion is that this will not significantly replace physical discs (DVD or blu-ray) until there is an option to buy content as well as rent or subscribe. Also, they need to improve the video quality and provide an option to download content and store it locally. And so far, you only get the films themselves, with no special features.

Of course, if this format does eventually take over, I expect that this community will burn their downloaded content to discs so that we can still use our great cover art.

2. RickT

RickT R1DB Lifer

well roku may of been the first step in the move to disrupt the video disc market, it sure won't be the last. right now you can get streaming content on many of the newer blu-ray players and some of the newer HDTV's, whether it be through netflix or amazon.
    i for one have a netflix account and an xbox 360... i get, what i consider, very good video quality with a 3 mbs connection.
    i thought amazon had an option to buy the movie you want to watch and it would allow you to store it on your PC and burn it to a disc... maybe it's not amazon, but someone else.....
    i am looking forward to the technology changes that are coming our way with respect to the video market. look at HuLu now... there's not to many TV shows that you can't stream into your home.
    it's an on demand market and netflix and amazon are leading the way right now. they'll be more players join the fray as the technology becomes available. those who are big in the market at the present time have a step on the latecomers....
    imho... the streaming market will be bigger than the physical discs within 5 years. buy your netflix and amazon stock now!!

3. alexs

alexs Freshman Member

I received my Roku a few days ago and so far I am very impressed. The HD stream video quality is much much better than SD DVD, it is almost equal to a blu ray. I have no complaint about the picture quality on my 92" Da lite screen. If Netflix makes most movies available in HD and 5.1 sound, I will ditch physical format.

4. WoGGo

WoGGo New Member Member

5. subzero20

subzero20 Sophomore Member

A Roku is nice, but w/ no local storage its no better than streaming netflix through an internet-connected DVD/BD player.

I personally have an HTPC setup with a decent HDD that I use to play all my media. Not only can I play any files stored on the local HDD, I can also stream from my MediaServer in another room (love FIOS quantum :) ) by just adding a Networked HDD to my HTPC and playing through MPC.

This is an ideal setup, b/c with the server I can just keep adding HDDs and increasing my overall storage. I can watch full 1080p, quality movies and have a lot of them.

At the same time, this will not stop me from buying/burning physical copies...there is just something about owning the actual Box/Case/Artwork that appeals to me, and no matter how much digital storage I have, I will continue to build and grow my physical collection, if only for nostalgic purposes for the future.

6. thedemise

thedemise Member Member

I agree, I won't be sacrificing my disc collection for space anytime soon.

7. wray2k2

wray2k2 New Member Member

I will wait until the 4K screens are under £2000 and i think the 4K movies will be a streaming service, sony will fight to keep blu-ray.