Important news regarding Hi-Def DVD's

Discussion in 'Technology' started by pbr, May 2, 2006.

1. pbr

pbr Member Member

Last edited: May 2, 2006
  2. true

true Sophomore Member

Wow. If you get a burn error.. that's one expensive coaster!

3. CoolKidd

CoolKidd New Member Member

I'll stick with my good and old DVD for now.... $30 per disc is way to much for me... I'd rather buy a second set DVD movie if this price will be the standard....

4. pbr

pbr Member Member

5. gbk33

gbk33 Site Moderator Staff Member Site Staff

looks like it will take 4 hours to burn a disc?

6. cavemanlawyer

cavemanlawyer New Member Master Designer

More like 45 mins.
    ________
    PETITEDELEIGHTXX

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  7. gbk33

gbk33 Site Moderator Staff Member Site Staff

that's a little better.

8. XoMartel

XoMartel New Member Member

very expensive technology!
    i dont think both going to last, with my income... i'll stick with regular dvd's for now^^ plus, the upgrade doesn't bother me much.

9. fender69

fender69 New Member Member

Doesn't all new technology cost an arm and leg when it first comes out?

I'm sure these prices will come down.

10. 1Bullet

1Bullet Member Member

It won't stay high. Blue ray and HD will end up battling it out and their will eventually only be one format. Just don't pick the wrong one.

Yeah ,I am definately going to wait.

11. slipsk8r

slipsk8r New Member Member

I am amazed; $30 for a blank DVD. I agree with CoolKidd and stick with the cheap DVD R media for the time being.

12. The-Novice

The-Novice New Member Member

how much!! at least Dick Turpin wore a mask when he robbed people :unsure:

13. Kobe Bryant

Kobe Bryant New Member Member

What is the difference between hd-dvd and blu ray?

14. Irrob

Irrob Freshman Member

:sadeye:

15. s8v4ovic

s8v4ovic Member Member

I'm one to jump all over new technology but these prices are rather high. With media over $5 a Gb I think I can wait a while! However a combo drive is kick a$$.

16. Fmonty

Fmonty New Member Member

As like everything else in this world.
    If it's new out on the market, a company needs to make back everything they spent on science and testing, engineers all costs etc, as fast as they can.

That's why the prices are so high at first, not to mention supply and demand :sad:

Give it some time and like everything else, it will also start coming down in price. Especially when newer technoligy takes it's place.

<S>
    Fmonty

17. Dev

Dev Member Member

I don't think it matters which technology you go with this time around as opposed to the Beta/VHS war. This media is identically shaped so these players that do both formats will become the norm. And blank media will be less than 50 cents per disc before you know it while burners will be below $50 eventually.

How much were DVD burners 5 years ago? Over $200? Now a good one is $30.

18. wormraper

wormraper Freshman Scanner

Hell I remember when they were $600 for a DVD burner :). However the one thing about Blu-Ray and HD DVD is the fact that they are trying to keep a larger price margin for the discs. The studios have actually come out and said that people have pushed the price of regular DVD's down too much. They want a new format that people value enough to pay around $20 per disk on the average disk again like they were 4-5 years ago. I believe it was Fox who came out said blatantly that they were unsatisfied with how low in price DVD's had become and that $19.99 is the magic point they want to stop at :rotfl:

19. Americandevil

Americandevil New Member Member

I'm not completely convinced that Blu-Ray is going to win out in the format wars.

20. wormraper

wormraper Freshman Scanner

There is a very real fear that both HD DVD and Blu Ray will both become another Laser Disc. Just an enthusiasts format.