HOW TO: MrMoody's Barcode Image Generator

Discussion in 'How to: Q&A' started by ctaulbee, Oct 13, 2005.

1. ctaulbee

ctaulbee Demigod Moderator Staff Member Site Staff

You can enter the correct UPC code here and it will generate a graphic image of the barcode for you to add to your cover, very handy tool worth a bookmark.

Note the images generated with this tool will scan if the aspect ratio is not altered during sizing for a cover, just remember to hold the "shift" key in photoshop while sizing to maintain aspect ratio ;)

Link To Mr Moodys Barcode Generator Web Page

MrMoody is a member here at the site and we thank him for letting us link to his page :)
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  2. MrMoody

MrMoody New Member Member

This thread should be mine, mine I tell you! :lol:

Actually the barcode will still scan regardless of the aspect ratio, however the numbers won't look right. It would be much better to just crop the top off the bars if you want to make the symbol shorter.
  3. peachy

peachy New Member Member

Thank You! This is awesome!
  4. Alexx57

Alexx57 Freshman Member

very helpfull link thanks
  5. MrMoody

I doubt it, although it might depend on the scanner. It should be possible, the scanner would just have to check for an inverted signal. They will read with the bars backward, I do know that.
    That will work as long as the background color has some contrast with black. Dark cyan might cause problems with the red laser.
    I used to have one on loan but had to give it back. You can find relatively cheap ones, I need to do that.
    And thanks!
  6. RASTA67

RASTA67 New Member Designer

I use barcode Pro, can generate any code I need (but I need it at work!)
    Mr Moody is correct in saying the best way to crop a barcode is to truncate it (crop upto half of the top bars - no more)... there are standards relating to barcodes (different in each country), so normally 100% or 80% EAN13 codes is reccomended (or whatever the standard is in your country)... but unless you are scanning them for you database then, other percentages may still scan!
    :)
  7. ctaulbee

As long as the final bar width and spacing are within spec they will scan but as you say it depends to a degree on the scanner.
  8. JupiterPrime

JupiterPrime New Member Designer

the old CueCat scanner from Radio Shack - doesnt need the propietary software either or any hardware recognition - just plug it in and run your DVD collection software and scan away
  9. MrMoody

10. JupiterPrime

JupiterPrime New Member Designer

"Cheap"???
    Radio shack was giving them away, as a matter of fact, DigitalConvergence (CueCats parent company) gave them so many in the hopes that people would scan away (while DC kept an extensive database of every IP users product habits as they kept scanning, so as to have something to sell - and they were caught in this)....they gave Radio Shack so many that they couldnt even GIVE them all away

funny story is how before they went defunct, they sued several people whome they found out were altering the device so that it wouldnt report back to DC, and sent C&D letters to various people running websites telling people how to alter the device, thinking they could tell people they cannot change the hardware once they "owned" it becasue they gave it away
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2006
  11. MrMoody

Yeh, I knew all that, but it's been years since you could get them free at the Shack, and $15 is still a steal for a scanner.
  12. mattgentle

mattgentle Guest

Cheers for this, great tool!
  13. Nadaone3

Nadaone3 Guest

Thanks for the link
  14. Turk_97

Turk_97 New Member Member

Great tool thx for the good work
  15. MrMoody

NOTE Outage

Due to a c: drive crash, the UPC generator will be taken offline for a short while while I replace a drive, install Windows and rebuild and reinstall everything. Be patient and it should be back in a couple of days at the most. Wish me luck ...
  16. MrMoody

Argh! I had it up for a few days and then screwed it up trying to customize XP. The site is down temporarily; I am having problems with IIS after stopping some services. Any IIS (5.1=XP Pro) experts who know what's needed can PM me. Hopefully it will be up again in the next few hours.
  17. ctaulbee

Thanks for keeping us updated on the progress :)
  18. MrMoody

Yeh, it's up now, it only took me an hour or two.
  19. ORiON

ORiON New Member Member

thanks....
  20. SlaM_Dunk

SlaM_Dunk New Member Member

The ultimate coool thing! ThanX a bunch ctaulbee! Now all I need is a proggy to laser one of them codes in my head.
    Seriously, good topic!