Hope its not a Scam

Discussion in 'How to: Q&A' started by tyson, Aug 22, 2010.

1. tyson

tyson Member Member

hi as one of you mentioned make 10 posts which i did then you can upload a cover whiich i did but i notice i havnt been given any credits this is not like all the other cover sites as they give you credits i dont see why i should give and not recieve credits its not a bad scan i take it all you guys including jayhawk will look at this and just pass by without replying just as a friend of mine said you have to be in with the boys i also notice a lot of stlen covers here you can crumple my cover up and shove it where the sunshine dosnt shine.

2. RickT

RickT R1DB Lifer

First off bud... You don't get credits for just uploading a cover... someone has to download it, actually a few people have to download it before you get credits.

Second... If it's a post that prompts a reply it gets one... I replied because sour attitudes get me in a replying mood.

Third... Did your pal say who the "boys" were?

We're not even having this conversation!

The last time I checked up your mom's skirt it was pretty dark...

3. jayhawk

jayhawk Administrator Staff Member

.3 credits x number of downloads. If your cover sucks, or is a little late to the cover party, you probably won't see many unique downloads which means you won't see many credits.

There are no boys, if you are good--you will have people download your stuff. We approve them based on select criteria (basic elements and quality intact). After that, it's up to you to make covers in a timely fashion that people want.

4. tyson

tyson Member Member

so its came to that already so what you want is me to give you scans of movies just out along with custom covers that are just in the cinema it wont be happening as i know what will happen i will give and then iwill not recieve thats not the way i work i give you give is the way it should be not you take and not give good scam as for RickT.

first off: so if i upload alot of cover i get fcuk all its not a bad scam.
    second: as i said if someone makes a post they expect someone to reply as they might need help.
    third: yes my pal told me who they were why felling a bit curious.
    forth: if you are going to try and have a debate dont be a coward and try and end by saying were not having a conversation.

5. rickssg

rickssg Freshman Designer

Nobody wants you to do anything. Jayhawk was simply offering advice on how to get more downloads, which will result in more credits. Nobody cares if you take that advice or not.

As has been quite clearly explained, this site awards credits based on people actually downloading your covers. If you upload a cover and no one downloads it, you get no credits. If you upload a cover and 100 people download it, you get 30 credits. The site moderators have nothing to do with how many credits your covers earn. It is completely up to the users of this site who decide whether or not to download your work.

There are other cover sites who award credits when you upload a cover, and then you never get any more credits for that cover regardless of how many people download it. There are other sites where you can't even upload a cover unless you purchase a subscription.

However, you have no place to claim that this is a scam or that you are being treated unfairly. You are being treated exactly how every member of this site is treated. I have one cover on this site that I posted several months ago which has not been downloaded once. I have received no credit for that cover. And I have not complained because I read and understood the site policies when I signed up years ago. If you think it's a bad idea to base credits on downloads rather than uploads, that's fine. But you can't claim it's a scam when this information is clearly posted in the site policies. It's not like anyone is trying to trick you.

In summary: That's the site policy. No one hid this policy from you. If you don't like the policy, don't come to this site. There's absolutely no reason to be so hostile.

6. ApolloOne

ApolloOne Site Moderator Staff Member Site Staff

Yeah! And use some periods and capital letters, for pete's sake! :wallbash:

7. tyson

tyson Member Member

Funny how when you start to rock the boat a little you get replys, When you are a goody two shoes people pass you by. Is this ok the way i typed ApolloOne, or do i need to make it more simple for you.

8. ApolloOne

I've been here a few years and have always found the mods and regulars to be very responsive to polite, civil questions and concerns. Communicate like a gentleman and be rewarded. Ramble and accuse like an ignoramus and be heckled.

How's that for simple?

9. tyson

tyson Member Member

Not to bad
    So its its like you said you have been here for years so there for you would be treated better than a new comer your words. You say that if you post polite questions then you get a response if that is so why have most of the posts i made not responded to but then again it depends on who you are you said it not me. So you have made a blooper by saying you have always been treated fairly hum.??? Number1 Rule: Watch what you say as it can always be backfired.

10. Hailstorm

Hailstorm The Sarge Staff Member Site Staff

Seems we have a failure to communicate here, one thing is we do not steal covers, we accept covers, I myself have uploaded covers I have gotten elsewhere to the site, but only after a grace period from the original download, If you are having issues with your account, then say so, just don't go off the deep end and accuse members of stealing. I sure would like to know who the good old boys are, I have been a member here since 2004, and I still haven't seen a good old boys club yet, you earn what get, if you want more then you have to produce more, that's a simple fact, nothing is handed to you in this world today. So the bottom line is a simple one, if you don't like the forest, then follow the trail to the exit, its as simple as that.

11. ApolloOne

You're not, by any chance, the president of Iran, are you?

12. tyson

tyson Member Member

Wow look at this post go i dont rember any of my posts getting this many replys. Hailstorm i read your reply and fair enough but you will find that alot of covers on this site have no names on them as they are blanked out, There for they must be stolen. When i read the rule it said if you put a cover on the site if you dont know who the artist is then leave it blank there for i would say when you upload someones work your meant to ask permission. As for you ApolloOne i notice you seem to have went quiet have i hit a nerve you seem to be backing off.

i know alot of artists who tell me about this site stealing.
    why would i want to get into trouble by providing stolen covers as no credits will be given
    i didnt see anything in the rules about me posting a covers and wait for people to download before i get credits or i wouldnt of uploaded it. think i shoud call this THE GREAT ESCAPE.

13. Ketaros

Ketaros New Member Member

Well,

I think he mixed the idea of "website credits" with the "copyright credits" is that possible?

Tyson, chill man... :p Why u so mad?
    Gah.. come on.. cause u got no website credits? Buy it... or do a nice cover that people will actually download...

Good luck! :)

14. Hailstorm

Hailstorm The Sarge Staff Member Site Staff

Allot of covers did have names of the people who uploaded them, but last year we were hacked and allot of the names were removed by the hackers, don't assume that they were posted without any names attached. I am still moving covers to the correct locations and setting the sizes to the correct size also, but when you have over 30.000 covers, it takes awhile.

15. tyson

tyson Member Member

No problems i know what you mean as for buying credits i dont normally pay for credits as i can scan my covers. I didnt see were it mentioned people had to download a cover for me to get credits, The fact that someone said they would have to download a cover 100 ties for me to get 30 credits seem very bad deal. I think we should stop bickering and call truce.

Peace.

16. rickssg

rickssg Freshman Designer

Just FYI, if you had read all of the stickys in the "Rules and FAQs" forum, you would have seen this.

Concerning your complaint about lack of responsiveness, I have been a member long enough to see that general activity on this site kind of comes and goes. For the past several months, it has been rather quiet. It's not that you're a new member; it's just that you happened to have joined at a time when site activity seems to be down in general.

You must also keep in mind that everyone here is doing this in their free time. The mods all have day jobs. They get to stuff when they can. And if your complaint is about a lack of response on a WIP thread, then you need to understand that that forum is for ALL members to help each other out. It is not incumbent on a mod to comment on a WIP thread. I rarely comment in the WIP forum because I consider most of the artists here to be more talented than I am. I also only comment on WIP covers for movies that I personally like, which is a small subset of what is posted. I am sure that most artists here will only comment on WIPs that personally interest them for one reason or another. After all, this is a hobby, not an obligation.

And finally, this is just opinion, but I think that .3 credits per download is a great deal. You have other sites where you get credit for uploading. It doesn't matter how brilliant or popular your cover is as long as it meets the site's quality criteria. You get paid for your work once and that's it.

Then there is this site, where if I make a truly brilliant and popular cover, I can sit around while the credits roll in. This makes the site more valuable, as artists are motivated to create covers that more people want.

Again, this is a matter of opinion, and you have every right not to like it. I was just trying to explain why I do like it.

I hope this post does not sound like bickering, as that was not my intent. My intent was to increase mutual understanding.

17. tyson

tyson Member Member

I understand what you mean i have never been to a site like this the ones i goto normally give credits for uploads, the olny one that did simlar to this was customcovers now there was a site probaly the best cover site on the net but thats my opinion but as the saying goes all good things come to an end.