Great movies no ones heard of

Discussion in 'DVD talk' started by ozsplace, Apr 6, 2005.

1. ozsplace

ozsplace Guest

I know most people know about Shawshank, LOTR, Godfather, etc but what about movies people do not know about. Mine are

Brotherhood of the wolf
    Boondock Saints
    City of God

2. JupiterPrime

JupiterPrime Guest

anyone remember Nelvanna Productions animated feature..."Rock and Rule"?

that was a cool flick - not really for the kiddies due to its subject matter, but a fun watch

3. FluidDruid23

FluidDruid23 New Member Member

Baise Moi
    Switchblade Romance
    Bubba Ho-Tep
    Undead

4. yobxobx

yobxobx Guest

Hears a few. One i'm sure should be on Jup's list.

Searching for bobby fischer
    Memento
    Super Troopers (funny as shit)

5. JupiterPrime

JupiterPrime Guest

Ive already made modified retail for Bobby Fischer...and I have heard of and own it - great piece of film

6. DownLovv

DownLovv Guest

remember the title of this thread is "MOVIES NO ONES HEARD OF"

7. covermee

covermee New Member Member

Laura (1944), Faust (1926), Nosferatu (1922) and M by Fritz Lang are all great oldies that most people don't know... amazing films though! Newer ones I would have to say Wasabi (french), The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe animated version... there are so many good films, but this is a good subject because it can recommend films to others that would have othewise never thought of a certain film. I know that my DVD collection has so many rare films (mostly oldies) and I always want to know of some good rare ones!

8. BlackWatch

BlackWatch Guest

A lot of foreign films would fall into this category.

So Close (Chinese Charlie's Angels)
    Storm Riders (Chinese Super Hero Kung Fu)
    A Man(Sword?) Called Hero (Based on Chinese comics)
    Demon City Shinjuku (Japanimation)
    Wasabi (Can't go wrong with Jean Reno)
    and
    any foreign Jet Li movies except Hero. He's funny as hell. For some reason (language maybe), he never comes across as funny in American movies.

9. covermee

covermee New Member Member

Great call on Wasabi BlackWatch, love Jean Reno!

10. JupiterPrime

JupiterPrime New Member Designer

"Kenny and Company" great coming of age film from 1976 - not on par with "Stand by Me" , but a really cool film for boys in the 12 thru 14 year range. If you're a 70s retro nut, you'll love this film. Anchor Bay is releasing a DVD this June - only boots available now.

Also more known - but still vague is "White Zombie" 1932 with Bela Lugosi, creepy and cool and shot on the Dracula sets at Universal, but by a private production company. It has alot of German expressionists influence and a fun thing to watch if you can find a good quality copy.

11. Jaldomar

Jaldomar New Member Designer

3 great movies in my opinion.

Nosferatu
    The name of the rose
    Nosferatu (1980)

12. kakihara1

kakihara1 New Member Member

I'll agree with Nosferatu from the 30's but I haven't seen the other two

Last Life in the Universe (Japanese Film shot in Thailand)
    Ondskan (Evil) (Swedish)
    Irreversible (French)

movies I love that everyone else seems to hate

eXistenZ
    Hideaway

kaki

Last edited: Oct 20, 2005
  13. Irrob

Irrob New Member Member

Breakdown

14. kunkstyle

kunkstyle New Member Member

"The Delicate Art of Parking"

Hilarious mockumentary.

15. flyboy

flyboy Sophomore Member

High Risk (1981) Starring: James Brolin, Lindsay Wagner, Clevon Little, James Coburn and Anthony Quinn.

It is too bad this has yet to be released on DVD properly, just as a bargin bin title.

16. motherbadbone

motherbadbone New Member Member

Le Samourai (1967) and Blow Up (1966)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  17. motherbadbone

motherbadbone New Member Member

Le Samourai (1967) and Blow Up (1966)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  18. kakihara1

kakihara1 New Member Member

What is it about??

19. mylesj

mylesj New Member Member

One of my favorite unknown heist films is Grand Slam with Klaus Kinski. Also along these lines but perhaps a bit more known because they now have Criterion releases are Rififi and Le Circle Rouge. Look for these if you like heist films.

20. Skankenstein

Skankenstein Member Scanner

Kenny and Company... wow, didn't know we had Don Coscarelli fans in here. Thats awesome. White Zombie was released by Roan, and has an exquisite transfer, even though its only a Laserdisc port. As for the rest of these movies, I have heard and own. Rock and Rule had an awesome 2 disc set released by Unearthed earlier this year. Covermee seems to like his silent films a lot. Can't blame him. I just watched the 2 disc Criterion dvd of M last night, and its never looked better. I'm just surprised that he didn't mention Dr. Caligari, or Der Golem.
    Kakihara1 stated that everyone seems to hate Existenz.. Blasphemy.. Cronenberg is god, and that movie ruled!