forgot name of software

Discussion in 'How to: Q&A' started by rickssg, Jun 25, 2009.

1. rickssg

rickssg Freshman Designer

about a year or so ago, I used some images captured from a DVD to put on a cover. I am wanting to do this again, but I have upgraded my computer since then and I don't remember the name of the software that I used to use. It was a two-step process; I would use DVDshrink to make a backup of the DVD on my hard drive, and then I would use this other program to sort through the VOB files and find frames to save off as images. This allows me access to the original source image, which is what I want. I'm hoping that someone here has used the same software and can remind me of the name. The only other thing I can say about it is that it had no installation package. It was downloaded as a zip file, and once you unzip the file to the directory of your choice, you simply run the extracted executable, which is the program.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  2. rickssg

OK, I found it. It's called VirtualDubMod.

3. g-tah

g-tah Freshman Member

you can just put the dvd into your drive and play it in VLC or MPC and use the screencap feature ;)

4. JupiterPrime

JupiterPrime New Member Designer

You can also use VDM without having to go through Shrink first....why read raw image data of something that has already been washed through something like that?

5. rickssg

Thanks, Jup, I did not know that (I guess it never occurred to me to even try it). It would certainly save a lot of time. I was thinking that by setting the Shrink settings to no compression that I would still get the original, unaltered raw image data, but it makes sense that reading it directly from the disc would be a better option.

6. rickssg

Well, I recently tried running VDM directly on a disc, and I suddenly remembered why I had always run it through shrink first - copy protection.

7. Hailstorm

Hailstorm The Sarge Staff Member Site Staff

And I thought I was the only one who suffered from senior moments.

8. koentjexl

koentjexl Sophomore Member

Are those problems memory related or prostate related?

9. Hailstorm

Hailstorm The Sarge Staff Member Site Staff

The prostate effects the lower extremities of the body, since we are talking about memory loss and not genitalia useage one would assume that you never took anatomy in school. And just so you know I still stand tall and salute at parades.

10. koentjexl

koentjexl Sophomore Member

Am I the only one who thinks with his genitalia?