FireFox Bookmarks?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by donobieus, Apr 29, 2007.

1. donobieus

donobieus R1DB Lifer

Hey guys, I'm getting ready for my annual reformatting of my hard drives and I want to save my firefox bookmarks but I cant seem to find where they are located. They dont seem to be where IE keeps them and they're not in the firefox program file. At least I dont seem to be able to find it. Anyone know where they are stored so I can shift them over to my portable drive with the rest the data I'm saving? thanx in advance for the help.

2. true

true Sophomore Member

I was in this same situation. I think what I did was...

Open FF
    Bookmarks > Organize bookmarks... > File > Export
    try that and then import it to test

3. donobieus

donobieus R1DB Lifer

When I did that it saves it as an html file. which means i'd have to click every link to re-bookmark them. There's hundreds upon hundreds of them. I would think that the data file would have to be saved somewhere, doesnt it?

4. true

true Sophomore Member

What does it do when you import it?

5. Schylling

Schylling Sophomore Member

6. RickT

RickT R1DB Lifer

Why do you do this on an annual basis?

7. donobieus

donobieus R1DB Lifer

OH, I get it. After I reinstall firefox just import the bookmarks back into it. Duh. Thanx guys

Just like a spring cleaning. Gets rid of the junk I have accumulated. Pieces and fragments of deleted programs and registry additions that don't do anything. Programs I downloaded that I thought were interesting but ended up never using and other whatnots. Plus if there is any virus' or spyware that made it through my defenses this wipes them out. Even if not, the system runs a lot faster whenever I do it.

8. liger_trainer

liger_trainer Freshman Member

Dono, you could also try foxmarks. I love it and it works great!

9. SavageNarce

SavageNarce New Member Member

I second the approval of Foxmarks. I used to have a terrible time keeping computers "synced" - one at the office, two at home - until I found Foxmarks. Now they all keep beautifully in sync.

10. Cor

Cor Freshman Member

that foxmarks looks cool... thanks for link

11. ctaulbee

ctaulbee Demigod Moderator Staff Member Site Staff

It works good too, it's an internet based storage retrieval system.

12. manwithaplan

manwithaplan New Member Member

For future reference if you want to know where they are backed up too its here C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

You will need to enable Tools>Folder Options>View> then tick 'Show hidden Files and Folders first to view this.

Also Firefox automatically backs up your bookmarks to this profile so just say you accidentally delete your bookmarks or it crashes you always have a copy of your bookmarks :)

13. thebeast

thebeast New Member Member

I have three computers, and Foxmarks works a charm ensuring all my bookmarks are sync'd!

14. blargy

blargy New Member Member

#2 is right

15. Poloki

Poloki Freshman Member

Dono,
    Try downloading CCleaner (short for Crap Cleaner). This is great little program that you can run regulary and it will clean your registry, get rid of garbage and cookies, and you can even uninstall other programs from there. This may help alleviate reformatting of HD every year.