Custom labels. Why is the hole allowed in the label?

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Help' started by weapon, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weapon

weapon Member Member

I know I have not been that active in quite a long time due to family and work obligations, I just don't have as much time to devote to Custom cover creation. Sorry. I do pop in to check up on the site and look over the work of some really great artists here. One thing has bothered me since my join date of 2005.

Why are uploaders allowed to put the facsimile of the hole on the custom disc labels?

I have three separate disc label printers and all are slightly different in the way they print. Depending on the size of the false opening on the custom disc, it can be just right or slightly too large which prints the opening. Since custom labels are created using actual found artwork, in theory there should be no hole at all when they are uploaded. I am not sure if anyone else finds this problematic but I do.

Maybe custom labels should be rejected if they include the hole? What do you think?

* BTW - Nice new clean look. It will take me a bit to get familiarized but I like it. Keep up the good work guys!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  2. Hailstorm

Hailstorm The Sarge Staff Member Site Staff

I know what you are saying, but the hole in the label is at the discretion of the artist, just like the info ring, wish they were gone too. As for now we are still stuck with the hole and the info rings.

3. ctaulbee

ctaulbee Demigod Moderator Staff Member Site Staff

Info don't bother me too much, but the hole I agree it has no purpose, some sites won't accept a custom with a hole, for the very reason you stated, so we would not be "stepping out" so to speak if we were to adopted such a change, need some input from Jay but my vote would be to not allow them.

Existing uploads would have to remain of course, but a line could be drawn for the future.

I don't add holes myself, I could but it seems like a bad thing to do.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  4. Hailstorm

5. weapon

weapon Member Member

Not fan of the info ring either. I don't know if donger is a member here but he uploads 2 labels everytime; one clean and one with all the dvd info. It is nice to have both.

6. Hailstorm

I do nothing but clean labels, no hole, no ring.

7. Adamsy

Adamsy Member Member

i always upload my cd covers with no hole. Like you everybodys printer is slighty different and so to are the discs, so no hole in the centre allows the user freedom to shrink or widen the hole when printing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.