clear up text

Discussion in 'How to: Q&A' started by yetisas, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yetisas

yetisas New Member Member

What is the best way to clear up fuzzy text from a scanned copy? I think from what I'm seeing is you re-type it? If that's so what do you do with the background or maybe I should be asking is how do you cut out just the text and leave the background intact? Then there is the part about matching font's? I've read some threads about font's and downloaded some but how do I use them? I know I should know this but I'm having a major brain freeze..:stupidi:

2. Julio Campos

Julio Campos New Member Member

3. Paper Pills

Paper Pills Sophomore Designer

the clone tool can be useful, but don't over do it.

best bet is re-create the images and text.

download a font and install it in your fonts folder..then you can access it though ps or whatever program you are using

4. yetisas

Thanks for the info.. Have another question how do you tell the font type that was originally used? or is it ok if you're close?

5. Paper Pills

that takes research or your can use the website http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/ to help you figure it out.

essentially if you are looking to recreate a cover exactly, you want it to match. if it is custom..who cares...as long as you like it and it works with the overall design...use whatever font you want.

6. yetisas

Thanks again

7. yetisas

Thanks again. But I'm confused, back to the picture part, if I wanted it to match exactly, what do I do about the background art, alot of times it doesn't appear to be a picture, but just some unique design, how do you not mess that up, or re-create? I've tried the clone brush but it just doesn't appear right to me.

8. Paper Pills

post an example.

9. yetisas

Here's an example of two covers I was attempting to clean up. If I use the clone brush it appears all swirlly, just not right.

Attached Files:

10. Paper Pills

sorry to say but those are too low res to be cleaned up. your best bet is a total re-creation from scratch

11. yetisas

Thanks for looking Pills.. What is the best res to be working with? 300 or higher?

12. Paper Pills

dpi isn't the only important thing.

you need images that have a high resolution without being resized. the worst thing to do is scale an image more than 120% (that's the number most people go with)

find images that are large enough for the area of the cover you want to put it on...ie, a front image has to be something that will look right at 1535x2175 without any resizing artifacts.

when you save the image to a flattened jpg, that's when you have to be concenred with dpi. an image that is 200x200 @300dpi is still to small for a cover, but an image that is clean, crisp and without artifacts that is 1600x1200 and 72 dpi (a movie wallpaper for example) is easily usable for a cover, as long as when you save it for printing/upload, it is at 300dpi

13. yetisas

Thanks for all the help, I need all I can get:confused: So at a higher res the clone brush would work better?

14. Paper Pills

cloning really only works for small areas. there is very little what you can do when you have that block of text. you really need to recreate it with stills and alternative images

15. yetisas

Pills..Thanks for all the input. What program do you like best to work with?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  16. Paper Pills

ps is the only way for me. i never liked psp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.