Changes are a comin'

Discussion in 'R1DB Site News' started by jayhawk, May 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayhawk

jayhawk Administrator Staff Member

Ratings system has been disabled... no more ratings.

We are going back to an old school of comments as well:
    1. comments will be allowed by people only if they've downloaded the cover or they are a member of the mods/admins/master designer/designer/scanner groups.
    2. comments will be allowed once you've downloaded the cover (by anyone)
    3. once you download a cover, you'll be asked to comment (via email). You will also be tagged with a "comment on the covers you downloaded bitch" or something until you do.

The ratings will be cleared on all covers.

We'll create a script that will go through and check every cover to make sure it's only reporting unique downloads, and not counting downloads by admins/mods.

Once that script has been run, we'll correct the way we report downloads, in the same fashion the script has corrected the tables.

The "top downloads this month" will take over the "top rated randoms" section.

There will also be a top downloaded of all time. Not sure how/ if we'll separate cover categories or just do overall ... i.e. scans /customs / movies/tv etc.

Im still open for input on some new ideas, but overall, the ratings are gone.

2. blueboy

blueboy New Member Member

Glad i can now comment on covers i've downloaded as i've wanted to show appreciation for some great covers.

I think the ratings of covers was becoming increasingly unrepresentitive of some work, good or bad, general comments are a far more meaningful barometer of appreciation.

Good work.

3. jayhawk

Keep posting in the forum and you'd have that abillity :p

4. Irrob

Irrob Freshman Member

:jump:

This is @$#%-ing great news!

5. gbk33

gbk33 Site Moderator Staff Member Site Staff

Sweeeeeeeeeet!

6. Wizdar

Wizdar New Member Member

:woot:
    :rotfl:

7. Darko

Darko New Member Member

Why only the comments if you download it? I found a cover yesterday that had an error on it, that I'm sure the artist would want to know about and correct. But I would have to use a credit to help him out with it?

8. gbk33

gbk33 Site Moderator Staff Member Site Staff

you can PM them

9. jayhawk

as gbk said- you can pm them, and you can report a problem with the cover via email if you really need to. If there are multiple errors, we should probably catch them before we approve them ;)

10. nhatduongchi

nhatduongchi Member Member

Hehehe....no more war on rating :)

11. spartanstew

spartanstew New Member Member

While most of it is good, the fact that you have to download to comment doesn't really make sense. I'm certainly not going to download every cover that I think warrants a comment.

And if someone wants to critique a cover, they certainly wouldn't want to download it.

Why not just automatically say that every cover is Great, because those are the only comments that'll be received now (members that think it's great will download it, people that don't, won't).

I can understand no ratings, but why make people pay to comment?

12. Wizdar

Wizdar New Member Member

Well, for my 2¢, not only should they download, but they should also print the damn things before they comment. But ain't no way to inforce that, of course.

I believe the concept is that those that have been upped are finished products. For more comprehensive comments, there’s the WIP section, yes?

13. donobieus

donobieus R1DB Lifer

Great idea if more than a handful of people ever went to the wip section. Maybe if the wip comments came up under new posts more would come and comment. IMHO

14. Paper Pills

Paper Pills Sophomore Designer

two words. 'bout time!

15. JupiterPrime

JupiterPrime New Member Designer

Ok, here we go...

Some covers you can tell something is either marginally off, dead-spot-on, or in need of some serious cowbell, just from viewing the preview. Others, you may never notice a problem or issue unless you actually have the the hi resolution version in your hands, and even fewer still, due to slight monitor miscalibrations (not to mention time of day or sun glare that you look at it with on screen) that you wont know there is a color issue until you print it out - those are rare however.

so I guess Ill go on record with my view of not necessarily requiring a download to effect an educated critique.

but there is a subtle difference....there is offering a critique to a WIP and there is offering a yay or nay on a finished piece. Both may or may not be offered in either a state of awe or disgust, but both are absolutely subjective and should be taken as such - whether offered from a preview or from a finished product

16. spartanstew

spartanstew New Member Member

And I use it, but the majority of covers posted have never been in the WIP section.

17. liger_trainer

liger_trainer Freshman Member

My opinion is that you should be able to comment without downloading. I may want to give someone public praise, but not like the cover for my collection.

If the point is to PM, then why have any comments at all? Let's all just communicate throught PM's right?

I think the WIP section needs to be moved to the new posts section as well. I think it would greatly improve the traffic to that area.

As far as the ratings, I think you should keep them just to piss off irrob:)

j/k -- glad to see them gone.

18. joliom

joliom Freshman Member

This is an incestuous community. The same covers get upped to various sites. So what if you get it elsewhere first? I know...post a comment there. But what if I know there's a problem with a particular cover and I want to let everyone here know about it too? Not every artist responds to PM's. So what, I have to start a thread about it if they don't respond and fix the problem?

Last edited: May 26, 2006
  19. JupiterPrime

JupiterPrime New Member Designer

in that case, caveat emptor my friend...

20. jayhawk

Well, I may allow the member group to comment as well, as that means you have probably been participating inside the forum. I suppose it doesn't matter as much if ratings aren't there--be less to bitch about :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.