Blu-Ray Player Backed up DVDs

Discussion in 'High Def and Theater talk' started by pheedback, Dec 30, 2008.

1. pheedback

pheedback New Member Member

I have a friend who got a Blu-Ray Player for Christmas and he said he is unable to play any of his backed up DVDs. I was wondering if others have had the same issue or if it is just his old DVD player liked (for example) DVD-Rs and the new Blu-Ray Player only likes DVD+Rs. Can anyone provide some guidance? Thanks.
  2. ApolloOne

ApolloOne Site Moderator Staff Member Site Staff

It could be any of a number of things:

-Player compatibility: It is possible that the player just won't read some kinds of media. Go to http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers, search for his Blu-ray player, and see what it says about the kinds of media it can handle. I have a Panasonic BD player that has no trouble with my recorded DVD media, but not all players are created equal.

-Bad media: Not all DVD media are created equal. There's a thread here about people's experiences with all kinds of recordable DVDs. My experience is you get what you pay for.

-Improper recording: Maybe the DVDs weren't recorded properly, i.e. recorded as multisession, not finalized, etc. Some players may play so loose with the DVD spec that they don't care whether the disc was recorded properly or not. Others will be more particular about such things.