Blu-Ray need a HDTV?

Discussion in 'High Def and Theater talk' started by Poloki, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Poloki

Poloki Freshman Member

Is it required to have an HDTV to even view a blu-ray? Obviously I know that you won't get HD picture, but surely even on a regular TV (connected via Component cable) it would give a better pic. I also know it would continue to play my standard DVD's.

I am just asking because I saw some Blu-ray players for good price and was considering buying one to replace my 8yr old standard player.

2. g-tah

g-tah Freshman Member

crt tv's cant display more then 720x576 pixel (PAL) 720x480 (NTSC)

so yes, you need at least a hd-ready tv (1366x768 ) or a full-hd tv (1920x1080) to get
    all a BD has to offer.

3. ApolloOne

ApolloOne Site Moderator Staff Member Site Staff

No, you do NOT need an HDTV to watch a Blu-ray player. Blu-ray players have standard def outputs so you can view them on NTSC or PAL televisions. So you can build your BD library while you wait to buy an HDTV.

4. g-tah

g-tah Freshman Member

so bd player will downscale to SD? i know they downscale to hd-ready, but wasnt aware they go down to SD.
    in that case, disregard my previous post, sorry.

5. cliffo

cliffo New Member Member

ApolloOne is correct, I have been enjoying Blu's on my PS3 on an SD TV for years now. Don't let the lack of an HDTV prevent you from getting a Blu-ray player. Just ensure the player you get has the appropriate video output capabilities. Would suck to get one that was HDMI only...

Enjoy!

6. ApolloOne

ApolloOne Site Moderator Staff Member Site Staff

A buddy of mine does the PS3-to-SDTV thing, too. I borrow Blu-rays from him and always tell him, "Man, you should see these things in HD!" just to drive him nuts!